Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 09:29
Paul, I want to echo everyone's great appreciation for the service you are providing. This is a remarkable resource that I wish I had known about months ago!

Here's my situation:

I'm applying to the Stern Full-Time program and University of Washington Full-Time and PT.

I graduated from a strong liberal arts school with a lack luster 3.0 GPA with double major in Economics and Chemistry. On my GMAT, I was disappointed with my 640 score, far down from my 700+ practice tests.

I am almost 26 and have been working at Merrill Lynch (Seattle) in private client wealth management for 2.5 years with much success (great rec's). I have built a practice that is the largest in three regional offices, given my length of service.

Leadership includes:
i am a campaign manager for a state house legislator, who is running for the senate
three-time collegiate varsity men's swim team captain
i have coached a summer swim team of 180 swimmers for four years
held at least 4 or 5 elected posts in school

After graduation, I am looking to transition out of private client into IB/corporate finance.

I know that Stern is a long shot at best, especially if i can't raise my GMAT. But I'm also concerned that UW may also be a stab in the dark.

Assuming that my essays are strong, what do you think my chances are?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 17:03
Expert's post
hotdog,

I agree that Stern is a longshot, though except for your GMAT and GPA your profile looks strong in every other respect. You should have a decent shot at Washington, since your 640 falls within their middle 80% and is not too far off their 674 average. If you can make the case (with evidence) that you traditionally get mediocre scores on standardized tests but simultaneously get strong grades then you may be able to soften the impact of your GMAT score. Washington is not a lock for you, but you seem reasonably competitive there.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 21:27
Thanks Paul!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41