Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval. for part-time MBA program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile eval. for part-time MBA program [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 13:31
Hi there,

I've already to applied to 2 part time programs and am awaiting feedback. I am wondering if you can take a look at my profile to see my chances at the following PT programs -

UCLA Anderson Part time
USC Marshall Part-time

- 26 year old Chinese-American Male (27 by the time program starts)
- 3.5 years WE (1.5 in project management in software company, 2.5 years in financial analyses and product costing for Fortune 500 co)
- 0 years in direct people management experience
- 710 GMAT
- 2.5 GPA in Electrical Engineering (school currently ranked 45th in nation)
- have taken an econ class with "A" since college; currently enrolled in management principles and accounting all in hopes to show that I can perform well academically (basically counter my weak GPA)
- decent essays
- good recos.
- track record of volunteer experience from high school to college to full-time employee. Leadership role in 1 major community service festival. Currently volunteering at an elementary school (located in economically disadvantaged area)

I am not looking to do a full career-switch as I'd like to stick with a Finance related role; more specifically Corporate Finance

I was originally planning on applying Full-time to both schools, but my GPA is quite weak so I feel the part time program may be more lenient.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval. for part-time MBA program [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 19:51
jayy178 wrote:
Hi there,

I've already to applied to 2 part time programs and am awaiting feedback. I am wondering if you can take a look at my profile to see my chances at the following PT programs -

UCLA Anderson Part time
USC Marshall Part-time

- 26 year old Chinese-American Male (27 by the time program starts)
- 3.5 years WE (1.5 in project management in software company, 2.5 years in financial analyses and product costing for Fortune 500 co)
- 0 years in direct people management experience
- 710 GMAT
- 2.5 GPA in Electrical Engineering (school currently ranked 45th in nation)
- have taken an econ class with "A" since college; currently enrolled in management principles and accounting all in hopes to show that I can perform well academically (basically counter my weak GPA)
- decent essays
- good recos.
- track record of volunteer experience from high school to college to full-time employee. Leadership role in 1 major community service festival. Currently volunteering at an elementary school (located in economically disadvantaged area)

I am not looking to do a full career-switch as I'd like to stick with a Finance related role; more specifically Corporate Finance

I was originally planning on applying Full-time to both schools, but my GPA is quite weak so I feel the part time program may be more lenient.

Thanks!

jayy178,

Your only real negative is the GPA, but your GMAT and post-BA coursework help to compensate for it. Your lack of formal leadership roles is not unusual, and I assume that you have some informal leadership stories. I think you are competitive at UCLA's part-time program and more than competitive for USC's. You might actually have a shot at USC's full-time program.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 17:17
great thanks for the news...i should hear back from usc in the next few weeks and ucla in about 4 weeks after i interview in 2weeks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 01:01
jayy178 wrote:
great thanks for the news...i should hear back from usc in the next few weeks and ucla in about 4 weeks after i interview in 2weeks

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter