Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval, Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval, Please [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 12:37
Hi --

I am planning on applying to B-School this fall to go back fall 09. I wanted to get some input on my profile and what I can do over the next 8-10 months to make myself more attractive to schools.

Background

- 3.9 GPA from Emory University's Goizueta Business School - Degree in Business Administration, Finance Concentration; Math Minor
- 770 GMAT Score (50 Q, 46 V), 6.0 AWA
- Caucasion male, US Citizen, will be 23 at time of application (24 at time of matriculation)
- Will have 2 years of work experience at time of application

Work Experience

- Work experience is entirely in consulting with a Tier 2 global firm; client experiences have included:
1. Leading a team of 5 client executives during mega supplier negotiations, resulting in savings potential of 12-15% for the client
2. Conducting an organizational assessment to understand how the employer can most efficiently utilize resources in a resource constrained environment
3. Owning a strategic sourcing workstream that resulted in $11MM (or about 15%) in savings for the client
- Promoted to Senior Analyst position at first possible promotion interval
- Have undertaken leadership roles within the office (i.e. very active in recruiting, planning office events)
- Serve as a "buddy" to new consultants -- a buddy is an informal mentor there to provide guidance and advice "off the record"

Extra Curriculars and Interests

- Serve as a Mentor to Goizueta Business School undergrads
- Active in the Junior Achievement program (currently just bringing a class into the office, looking to get into going into the classroom)
- Aviation - Have 50+ hours flight time logged, have soloed and done glider flying (have not done this in a couple of years due to time and $$$ -- but still have the passion for planes)
- Gofling
- Traveling

Schools

- Currently I am planning on applying to HBS, Wharton, Kellogg and Chicago GSB. I want to apply to one other school, but don't know where quite yet.

Please let me know thoughts on profile and what I can do to improve it and strengthen my position over the time frame aforementioned.

Thanks,
Matt
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval, Please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 19:09
Well, you're definitely a strong applicant at first blush. Your challenge will be to show that you have the maturity to below at your target schools. They all have mean work experiences of ~5 years+. Being a consultant you have a range of experiences to draw from and it sounds like some solid leadership experiences -- this is key! You'll definitely need to communicate that you 've had the opportunity to prove yourself as a leader in a very short period of time. Also, it's important that you effectively communicate your career goals and answer why now is the perfect time to attend b-school. Be as specific as possible with your career goals and make sure to strongly express fit with the target schools -- what do they offer that you need.

If you do all that, you should be in great shape.

http://www.mbagameplan.com