Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 10+ years experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - 10+ years experience [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 11:04
Dear Stacy,
Kindly provide me your valuable opinion on my profile.

35 / Male / Indian
Work Exp : Over 11 years of experience in IT (6+ years in project management) and currently working as a Project manager (PMP certified). Also have extensive international exposure of over 6 years in US
GMAT : 570 (AWA 5.0, V 33/66%, Q 36/43%). Will be retaking the exam in Sept & aiming for 700+
TOEFL : Test taken
UG : From top engineering college in India (3.5 GPA)
Extra Curricular : Active voulunteer in helping NGO's and have also led efforts for the same, participated & won in sports events at school/college
Certifications : PMP (Proj mangement) and a number of technical certifications
Interested in : General management/Strategy consulting
Post MBA goal : Business development/Strategy consulting and eventually become an entrepreuner.

I had applied for 5 universities (Texas A&M,Cox,Notre Dame & 2 other schools) for Fall 2011 & all were rejected. Part of it could be that I applied too late (May - June timeframe) or it could probably have to do with my profile.

I would like to pursue a 1 year or 18 months MBA (not EMBA). So would like to know your valuable suggestions/inputs on,
- Is my age an issue for getting admissions into the schools?
- which US schools do you think I have a realistic chance of gaining admission, asssuming I score 700+ in GMAT

Thanks,
aravind
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 10+ years experience [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:42
Expert's post
Hi aravindmba,

With regards to your age, you should worry about an imaginary cut-off line when applying to business school. Business schools do want to see a history of progression in your career, so it will be important to emphasize this when applying to school.

From the information you have written, it appears that your GMAT score did play a factor in your not being accepted earlier. I strongly recommend you spend a significant amount of time on GMAT prep.

Remember, MBA.com offers 2 free official GMAT practice tests which can be used as prep.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - 10+ years experience [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 19:52
Thank you Conrad for your thoughts.

It is a bit encouraging that with a good case I can negate the age factor.

I certainly will work hard this time to boost my GMAT score.

Finally, What would be your advise for someone like me,

should I go for full time MBA (which is of my interest) and preferably one year (considering that I am an older applicant)
or
should I continue with my job and do part time (I really not keen on it. But ready to explore only when experts feel that is not a good idea to do full time at this stage of my career/life).

Thanks.
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 10+ years experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 08:58
Expert's post
aravindmba,

There are pros and cons of pursuing a part-time or full-time MBA. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision, and because of this it is difficult for me to answer your answer.

A full-time MBA program allows for more opportunity to transition to a new career because of the summer internship. However with part-time MBA programs, often a company will pay for tuition, which can be significant.

Again, there are a number of factors (costs, time, post-graduate opportunities, etc.).

Are there any particular questions you have regarding either program that I can help answer?

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap