Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 04:35
Demographics: Male, 25, white
Work Experience: 36 months at a service oriented healthcare firm. Two promotions and currently working as a business analyst.
Undergrad: 3.84, BS Biology (Top 50 university)
GMAT: Verbal: 40 (89%); Quantitative: 45 (72%) Overall: 690 (88%)

I am a bit concerned about my GMAT score as it is below the 80/80 cutoff but I have undergraduate courses in statistics and calculus and deal with finance at my current job.

I want to remain in healthcare and am trying to get into a program that has a concentration in healthcare.

Reach: Wharton and Dartmouth
Target: Duke and Boston University

Am I setting reasonable expectations for myself? I put a lot of effort into the GMAT and am not confident that I can score much higher. I am willing to try but would rather put time into my applications if it reasonable to do so. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 18:15
Expert's post
Hi whattodo:

Well, to be honest, at first glance and based on the other information you provided, I would say that is too low for Wharton and Dartmouth. For BU it is acceptable, but it will be borderline at Duke.

Now this analysis is strictly based off of the limited information you provided. What takes any candidate from good to great (granted that they have an appropriate GMAT score and GPA, work experience) is the nature of the other leadership activities and goals. So I need a little more insight into what your actual leadership activities consist of at work and outside of the office, as well as your short and long-term goals.

If you can give me a little more information, I can help assess your prospects a little more definitively.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 19:55
Thanks so much for you're reply. You're absolutely right. It would be difficult to analyze a candidate with that information.

I graduated in 2008 with the intention of applying to medical school. I decided to get a job on the insurance/service side of the healthcare industry to truly understand United States healthcare. I realized that there are thousands of fantastic physicians in our country but the system in which they operate is broken. I decided that a JD/MBA would provide me the greatest leverage to make a difference in the healthcare sector.

I have taken the LSAT and am also considering JD/MBA programs but want to assess my options of a straight MBA. My short term goals are to be in a position to analyze the efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare and develop alternative payment methodologies. My long term goals are to be in a position to change the way we think about healthcare and business.

I work at a relatively small and new service oriented healthcare firm. We have been in business for approximately five years and have 30 employees. My role at the company has transitioned over the last several years as I have taken on several roles outside my original job description. I started as support to the account management team before receiving an account of my own. I transitioned from an account manager to to a business analyst due to my ability to navigate each area of our business. I currently work with finance, clinical, technology, and operations on various projects. I have sat at the table with several CFOs to deliver financial results and projections. We have recently had a lapse in our executive management team and a colleague and myself have stepped up for the time being. We do not have interest in long term executive positions but are doing our best to stabilize the company while permanent positions are filled.

Thanks so much for any additional insight, truly appreciated.