Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:11
i am kinda get stuck with my career and thinking about MBA.

Basic Information: 29 Male / Chinese / Immigrated to US 12 years ago.

Undergrad:BS in Computer Science, graduated from State University of New York in Binghamton. GPA 2.9

GMAT: Targeting 700 to 730

Extracurricular:
Back in college, i was the guitarist, music coordinator and band leader of a Christian Fellowship's worship team.

Work Experience:
6 years in retail (small company, has 6 stores and less than 20 employee)
First year: i was employed as a IT consultant.
next 2 years: as i learn more about the bussiness side of the company, and gets more involved with the management team, i was promoted as a assistant manager.
Next 3 years: I was promoted as the general manager, directly under the business owner.
Note: It is a small company, i have chances to involve in the different areas such as operation, marketing, HR, etc. However, I don't have solid business management knowledge, i just learn things myself as i work.

Certifications: None

Language:
Fluent in english and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese)

Other Hobbies/Areas of Interest:
Photography

Post-MBA Career Goal:
I am stuck in my career path because of the lack of solid management knowledge, and the company i worked for it is so small. By getting into MBA program, i am hopping to learn the solid management knowledge, and have a career change.

Target School:
I am not sure what is the range that i should AIM at. I like McCombs, because of their dual degree program.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 21:08
Expert's post
kchen wrote:
i am kinda get stuck with my career and thinking about MBA.

Basic Information: 29 Male / Chinese / Immigrated to US 12 years ago.

Undergrad:BS in Computer Science, graduated from State University of New York in Binghamton. GPA 2.9

GMAT: Targeting 700 to 730

Extracurricular:
Back in college, i was the guitarist, music coordinator and band leader of a Christian Fellowship's worship team.

Work Experience:
6 years in retail (small company, has 6 stores and less than 20 employee)
First year: i was employed as a IT consultant.
next 2 years: as i learn more about the bussiness side of the company, and gets more involved with the management team, i was promoted as a assistant manager.
Next 3 years: I was promoted as the general manager, directly under the business owner.
Note: It is a small company, i have chances to involve in the different areas such as operation, marketing, HR, etc. However, I don't have solid business management knowledge, i just learn things myself as i work.

Certifications: None

Language:
Fluent in english and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese)

Other Hobbies/Areas of Interest:
Photography

Post-MBA Career Goal:
I am stuck in my career path because of the lack of solid management knowledge, and the company i worked for it is so small. By getting into MBA program, i am hopping to learn the solid management knowledge, and have a career change.

Target School:
I am not sure what is the range that i should AIM at. I like McCombs, because of their dual degree program.

You have a competitive profile for McCombs. What do you want to do after your MBA?

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 10:47
Thanks for your reply!

about my post-MBA goal, that is another thing i am trying to find out. would you please give me some suggestion?

Information system management:
Pros: I like to do something that is IT related. I have BS in computer science. I did some computer programming related work at my current job.
Cons: However, the technical experience i have regarding computer programming is far less than anyone who works as a actual computer programmer. i am afraid this will make me a lot less competitive at work.

Is it true that being in a management level doesn't require much of the basic programming skill? is it more important to oversee programmers to get to the project goals than the actual technical work?

Or

Marketing:
PRos: I like marketing, have been doing some marketing related project in my current job.
Cons: I never took any course related to marketing back in the college. i kinda just learn thing myself as i work.

Is it important to have at least some academic background, or some solid work experience in marketing (like in some big marketing firm) in order to concentrate in marketing?

My last question: Does what i learn in the MBA program enough for a future job? or I need stuff i learn from MBA, plus either previous work experience or undergrad curriculum? like i said in the original post, i didn't have a academic background in business management, and i didn't really learn a lot in my job because it is a real small company (none of my supervisor or business owner had any business degree). that is why i am kinda uncertain about what should i pick for concentration, and post-MBA goal.

thanks for u time!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 20:36
Expert's post
kchen wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

about my post-MBA goal, that is another thing i am trying to find out. would you please give me some suggestion?

Information system management:
Pros: I like to do something that is IT related. I have BS in computer science. I did some computer programming related work at my current job.
Cons: However, the technical experience i have regarding computer programming is far less than anyone who works as a actual computer programmer. i am afraid this will make me a lot less competitive at work.

Is it true that being in a management level doesn't require much of the basic programming skill? is it more important to oversee programmers to get to the project goals than the actual technical work?

Or

Marketing:
PRos: I like marketing, have been doing some marketing related project in my current job.
Cons: I never took any course related to marketing back in the college. i kinda just learn thing myself as i work.

Is it important to have at least some academic background, or some solid work experience in marketing (like in some big marketing firm) in order to concentrate in marketing?

My last question: Does what i learn in the MBA program enough for a future job? or I need stuff i learn from MBA, plus either previous work experience or undergrad curriculum? like i said in the original post, i didn't have a academic background in business management, and i didn't really learn a lot in my job because it is a real small company (none of my supervisor or business owner had any business degree). that is why i am kinda uncertain about what should i pick for concentration, and post-MBA goal.

thanks for u time!

Kchen,

My recent book MBA Admission for Smarties deals with a lot of your questions and obviously goes in to much greater depth than I can here. It is available on Amazon and is in paperback and Kindle editions. While I don't claim objectivity, it does address your questions well.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 21:11
i just downloaded to kindle, before i read the whole book, would you please let me know which part (pages?) in the book which talks about the concerns that i have?

thanks!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 09:46
Expert's post
kchen wrote:
i just downloaded to kindle, before i read the whole book, would you please let me know which part (pages?) in the book which talks about the concerns that i have?

thanks!

Chapters 1, 2, and 4 deal with goals and and how they should guide you in choosing schools. Chapter 3 is about how your qualifications influence that decision. The second part of the book (chapters 5-9) deal with the actual application process -- essays, resume, letters of rec, and interviews. Chapter 10 has tips for specific groups of applicants.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553