Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 18:47
Hello,

I am planning on applying to some US MBA schools this fall for entry next year. I need some help on setting reasonable/realistic targets. My profile is as follows,

- Will be 26 with 3 years of full time experience before entering school next Fall
Background
- Chinese Canadian, moved to Canada when I was 16, very fluent in both Chinese and English
- Solid understanding of Chinese culture, both parents are successful business people in China
Education
- Finished 2 undergrad degrees from 2 top Canadian universities in 5 years. One in statistics (GPA 3.6), one in finance (GPA 3.7)
- Finished 2 levels of CFA exams, expect to finish the last one before entering grad school
Work Experience
- After graduation started in a trading floor rotation program with a major Canadian bank in Toronto
- Rotated through structured products origination, interest rate derivatives sales, and foreign exchange sales
- Currently working as an Analyst in foreign exchange algorithmic trading, responsible for monitoring a trading portfolio for 10 currency pairs and researching about new trading strategies. There are also many other responsibilities tied to this role.
- Before graduation interned with an equity trading desk for another Canadian Bank and also as an Investment Banking analyst for a third Canadian Bank
Extracurricular
- During school I was a Council Chair for an independent student housing community where we operated 10 building for over 600 students. I was first there as a judicial committe member, then chair and finally council chair for the whole community. Regular duties include organizing council meetings, hire building managers, and approve building budgets and special funding requirements
- After graduation I am volunteering for Future Possibility for Kids where we work with kids from disadvantaged families to achieve community goals

GMAT
- Still studying, hoping to achieve 700+
Career Goal
- I would like to switch back to Investment Banking or make a transition into Investment Management
- Would focus on Emerging Markets opportunities, especially China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong
- Long term want to work in Asia

Could someone please advise which schools I have reasonable chance of getting into and which ones I can try and hope for the best. Some schools that I wish to get into and have clear focus on Finance are Columbia, Chicago, NYU, and Yale. Could someone comment on my chances for these schools and if I should bother spending time on application for Harvard and Stanford.

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 05:59
I'm not a finance guy, so take my advice with a grain of salt here. You should definitely put a Stanford app together, there are no guarantees but I think you'd stack up very favorably. Add Wharton. Yale seems good from an asian perspective, but not sure if you'd have the same short-term US opportunities.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 05:59