Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 23:07
Hi,
I am planning to apply to various MBA programs for their fall 2014 or 2015 intake.
At present I have only 10 months work-ex under my belt...by the time I plan to start MBA , I should have 3 to 4 years of work -ex.
Demographics: Indian/female/age 22
Acads: GPA 7.96/10 (approx 3.18 on a 4 point scale) in Electrical Engineering, GMAT 720(Q48,V40)
Work ex: working as a Project Manager in a Power and Automation manufacturing company(fortune 500 )
Extra-curricular: involved in freelance writing work for small-scale web companies, was a part of Literary and Debate club in college(i dont have any certificate to show for it though), Have a diploma in Bharatnatyam(an Indian classical dance form)...I write a lot but I guess I cant put blogs in my application...
I am planning to start community service work from later this month....should've 1.5 to 2.5 years by the time i apply...

My questions:
1) My math grades in college courses were sub-par :mostly C s....do I need to attend some extra classes to make up for that or is a 48 in GMAT quant sufficient? I am not really bad at Math....just didnt study in first year of college...If I do need to attend classes...will online classes do? Alternatively,should I get any certification courses? If yes, Can you suggest any?
2) Is it really realistic to plan to apply next year (for 2014 intake) ? Will 3 years work ex be sufficient? Assuming I stay in the same place I am right now,(not much scope of a 'promotion' for a fresher like me...)....what do I need to do to show that I DO have leadership skills?

I'm interested in a Marketing/strategy profile post-MBA....and of-course my dream school would be Kellogg....but I dont think I can ever improve my profile to be good enough for a top school like Kellogg....which schools do you think I have a realistic chance of getting admitted to ?

Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions,
Upasana
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 12:27
Expert's post
Hi upasanadatta,

If you did receive C's in many of your undergraduate classes, you should address this on your application. First, here is a case study of an applicant with a low GPA who was accepted into Chicago Booth and Columbia: http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/

If you decide to take outside classes, when you sign up for classes don’t worry too much about the prestige of the school. Business schools understand that you may not have a world class university nearby, and need a convenient option. So you should worry less about the school, and more about the coursework.

For your leadership experience, have you considered looking for opportunities outside of work?

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 22:04
Hi!
Thanks for the quick reply...as I said , my gpa is 3.18/4....thats not exactly low....do i still need to do attend some classes? Will online classes do?

Also, when you say 'leadership outside work' , what does that mean? Does community service count as 'leadership'?
Thanks ,
Upasana