Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 19:45
Nationality: Indian (US Citizen)
UGrad Degree: Computer Science
UGrad Institution: University of South Florida
UGrad GPA: 3.01
GMAT: 690

Extra Circulars: During under grad, I was 1 of 8 to found a South-Asian Service Fraternity at USF. The fraternity is solely funded by fund raising and everyone must commit to a minimum of 20 hours of community service every semester. Over the course of 2 years I have served in the following roles: Ambassador, Secretary, Brotherhood Chair, Academic Chair, webmaster, and Alumni Advisor

Outside of under grad I don't have much in extra curricular, but since the beginning of this year I have started to tutored a couple of high school students over the weekend in Mathematics.

Work experience 1:
Position: Lead Software Engineer
Company: PrepLogic - a Small e-commerce company (~20 employees)
Description: Converted an entire e-commerce website to newer technology.
I was also in charge with everything technology related with the company.
I also unofficially supervised the web designer

Work experience 2:
Position: Programmer Analyst
Company: Citi
Description: converted legacy apps to newer technologies, built reports for various business units, served as best practices and database tuning advisor for new hires and off shore development teams, performed technical interviews for potential new hires. I also the go to guy for anything new, technology related for my senior manager, both work and non-work related.

Part-time work experience:
During 2010 I built a website for fathers car dealership. Unfortunately, since he doesn't manage the website as I thought he would, I do all the inventory management and marketing for the website on a weekly basis.

My story:
In April 2007 I began my career with PrepLogic. One year later I left PrepLogic to continue my career with Citi. A few months later, I bought a house and invited my mother to stay with me. Before this time she lived by herself and worked 2 jobs to make ends meet. I also support my brother so my parents don't have to pay for his housing while he is in college. I started studying for the GMAT in 2010 but got distracted various times through the endeavor because I got distracted by side programming projects. During the summer of 2011, I buckled down and started studying for the GMAT again, hoping to either go to the best part-time MBA program in Florida (UF) or go to a top rated online program (IU or UNC). I gave my second GMAT in November 2011 and got a very disappointing score. Hastily, I filled an application for UF for the spring 2012 semester and was accepted. Fortunately, I realized before it was too late that a MBA from UF, let alone a part-time MBA will not give me the results I desire and in conclusion dropped out of the MBA program after the first semester. I realized I wasn't going to let my bad decision of buying a house stop me from fulfilling my career.

Hobbies: pretty much anything technology related. I've had well over 50% of Android Phones on Verizon and have also owned 3/5 iPhones at some point or the other. Outside of technology, I also enjoy gardening, working out, and cars

Career goals:
I want to stay in Technology but I don't want to be a programmer for life. Post-MBA I would like to pursue a career as a Product Manager for a technology company. Another career option I'm interested in is Technology Entrepreneurship. My dream long-term career goal is to invest in Technology companies, a la Venture Capital.

Prospective Schools:
Johnson
Yale
Darden
Ross
Tepper
Fuqua
Stern

Am I reaching too high?
Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 04:26
Hi Ashish,

I am not an expert but since this is a Peer Review forum, I figured I would give my 2 cents.

I think that you might be aiming a bit high. You have picked 7 of the top 15 mba programs in the U.S. and these might be closer to stretch schools for you than "sweet spots". Here are my reasons:

- Your GPA is well below average for these schools. On top of that it is not from an elite or top tier school. You have a good GMAT score but its probably not high enough to significantly mitigate the GPA. Maybe if you have time you can give the GMAT another try to get 700+?
- Lack of post-collegiate extracurriculars. Even the hobbies you mention are tech related like your career. I would urge you to think of non-tech related ECs you might have and may be overlooking.
- Lack of obvious leadership in your work experience. You don't mention managing any people or leading any projects or teams. If you have managed anyone or led any teams or projects, it will be super important to mention those experiences in detail in your applications.

I am not saying that you can not get into any of these programs. But based on the limited information you have shared, it will be hard. You should look into applying to several top 15-30 schools along with a few from the list you provided to balance things out.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 17:52
Gokhra, thanks for your feedback. I know the GPA and the undergrad will be significant obstacles to overcome. As for leadership, I've had leadership type roles in various projects, but nothing official like project manager, etc. I'll think of adding other schools such as UNC, USC, etc., but honestly I don't think a MBA will be worth it to me to for anything lower than the top 20.
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2012, 17:52