Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:46
Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate a profile evaluation. I am starting application essays for R2 2013

Ethnicity : Male Indian 30

Occupation : Project Manager in US (Insurance domain), 7.0 yrs exp. Managing team of 8 resources in USA and team of 20 resources in India.

Education : B.Tech from govt college in India (academically, I was among top 5% of the student in my class and won merit scholarship during my graduation).

Extra Curricular activities: I was president of toastmasters club in my organization (duration – 6 months). Currently volunteering for hospice services in US

GMAT1 : 710 (Q 49 83%, V37 82%).
GMAT2 : 710 (Q 49 83%, V37 82%) (I myself am wandering how I could have same score in both the tests)

My aim is to do MBA in management consulting and my target schools are

1. Columbia (Dream)
2. Cornell Johnson (Dream)
3. Booth (Dream)
4. ISB
5. Teppers
6. McCombs
7. INSEAD

I would appreciate your feedback very much.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 21:46
techyrajeev wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate a profile evaluation. I am starting application essays for R2 2013

Ethnicity : Male Indian 30

Occupation : Project Manager in US (Insurance domain), 7.0 yrs exp. Managing team of 8 resources in USA and team of 20 resources in India.

Education : B.Tech from govt college in India (academically, I was among top 5% of the student in my class and won merit scholarship during my graduation).

Extra Curricular activities: I was president of toastmasters club in my organization (duration – 6 months). Currently volunteering for hospice services in US

GMAT1 : 710 (Q 49 83%, V37 82%).
GMAT2 : 710 (Q 49 83%, V37 82%) (I myself am wandering how I could have same score in both the tests)

My aim is to do MBA in management consulting and my target schools are

1. Columbia (Dream)
2. Cornell Johnson (Dream)
3. Booth (Dream)
4. ISB
5. Teppers
6. McCombs
7. INSEAD

I would appreciate your feedback very much.

Thanks.

Hi Rajeev,

Your stats seem to be in place. You have not explained your professional achievements in this post, but the admissions teams will definitely be looking at them closely to ascertain your leadership capabilities.

Your career goals will also be very crucial to earn you an admit. Ensure that your desire to move into management consulting is aligned with the experience that you have built so far. From this perspective, a role in IT consulting companies like IBM, Accenture, Delloite may be more like it. Typically pure management consulting companies follow a standard career path- figure out if you fit in your target companies with your work experience.

You could also look into some other programs that are strong in general management, such as Kellogg, Duke fuqua, Tuck and Ross.

All the best,

Namita
www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 16:14
Thanks Namita!

Please let me know if below mentioned details can help you evaluate the profile more efficiently.
Following are the details of my profession experience:

2 years in two companies as software engineer (India) in banking and retail domain
2 years as module lead for automation testing: I led team of 5 people (India) - Provided some proposals to the customer, leading to extension of the contract of my module.
1 year as Quality analyst (USA) - I managed team of 4 offshore resources, implemented several new testing processes (Accpeted by the organisation) and helped them deliver quality product to the customer.
1 year business analyst (USA) - Though I was doing business analysis activities by numorous means such as gathering requirements, defining the scope of the project, providing consultancy to the customer and helping customer proposing new functionalities in the application but at the same time I was handling project management activities too.
1 year Project manager (USA) - Proposed several quality and budgetry processes; Many of them were accepted by the customer and are still in place. Helped customer reduce the cost of the projects by 30-40% by implementing several methodologies. Managed critical situations by guiding and heading team in the right direction.

Recommendations: I hopefully can get recommendation from my supervisor and IT director of the output projects.

Aspirations:

Post MBA, I want to pursue my career in management consultancy, product management or general management.

I really appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:17
Hi Rajeev, all your post MBA goals sound reasonable with your kind of work experience. My suggestion to you would be to talk to friends and acquaintances working in these fields and determine what excites you most. This will help you to develop your career goals as well as you will also be talking about them in the essays.

from my understanding, you can explore the technology function of management consulting companies, as you will directly get to apply the technical knowledge you have built so far. For general management- Many companies offer rotational development programs, where you can rotate between functions and get preapred for leadership roles within the organization.

Your GMAT scores are close to the average scores for the b-schools on your list, so you would really have to make other parts of your application shine.

Namita

Namita Garg
contact@mbadecoder.com

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2012, 22:17