Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 12:42
1)
Work Experience: 2 yrs
Current Employer: Bulge bracket bank
Position: Analyst, rotational program (5 positions to date)

2) Your GMAT.
700 (Preparing to retake again hopefully to get 730+)

3) College info:
Lesser known State/City College
GPA: 3.5 in finance, have 5C+ and 3 W's, the C+s were due to getting the hang of basic finance classes, then picked up momentum and gained A's in the advanced classes, ended the last semester with a 3.9) the W's I retook them and gained an A.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

College:
VP of a finance club
Representative for a women's finance association
Mentor/volunteer for high school students

Post college:
In Americorps (tutoring young children)
Advocate (similar to a social worker for neglected and abused children ensuring they have a home)
Mentor for women's association (for High school and college students)
Part of a mentoring association specifically for at risk, inner city students

(and on the side trying collaborate with a fellow advocate to create a not for profit children's aid, mostly for at risk students to create their own business plans etc.)

6) Your target programs.
Am I competitive in any of these schools?

HBS
MIT
Booth
Kellogg
Tuck
Johnson
Columbia
Yale

I have visited these schools and loved HBS, MIT, Tuck, Johnson. And are there any other schools I should be looking at?

7) Your post-MBA goal.

Longer term goal is ultimately to create an investing community/company that helps creates capital for women social entrepreneurs as my main goal (a stretch but that's an ultimate goal)

Short term goals: to do IBD mostly in restructuring to help create the investing foundation, and subsequently to PE/investing firm.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:22
Expert's post
You have a textbook definition background for b-school, in fact, in the "old-days" your track of high GMAT score, 2 year analyst at a marquee bank would have been exactly the right stuff to get you in the school of your choice. These days, it's gotten a lot more competitive, although you will still differentiate yourself as a woman with this background since most are men in this pool. Good news is, your post MBA vision is a good story for the adcoms considering your background. It's tough to say how you will do in the process for these target schools, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get in one or more of them as long as you submit a compelling, error free application. Work on ways in which you can differentiate yourself from others with a similar background--remember, you will be up against folks with better academic credentials, so make sure you can answer the question why a slot should go to you vs. them. Generally, you will be compared directly to others from the banking industry, so you must be prepared to argue how you stand out from them.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 06:00
Expert's post
One other thing I will add it that while the 2 year analyst-cum-bschool applicant route has been proven tried and true, the two years of experience has become less than the average amount of experience at top schools, so you may also want to be prepared to talk about the mileage and not just the age if you get my drift. In other words, speak to the intensity and quality of your experience in order to help counter balance the fact it has just been two years instead of four or five.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews