Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 18:42
My Profile:-
Did my Engineering in Comp Science from a state univ with 70% marks.(Don't know how to convert it into GPA, but from an engg perspective 70% is a decent score imo.)
Decent extra curriculars in college,.
Work ex - Involved in my family business(Exporter & manufacturers of textile items from India) for last 3 years, will be applying next year so work-ex will be around 4 years. Manufacture products for companies like Urban Outfitters, Target etc.
Handle a workforce of 25-50 people, have a turnover of close to around $500k-$800k.
Haven't given GMAT yet but I am targeting to get around 740-750 which I think is quite reachable.

I wanted to change my career path by joining a top B-School & migrating to finance field. Just wanted to know what are my chances of getting into a top B School & whether it is possible to change my field to finance even though I don't have much exp in that sector? I have completed 2 levels of CFA too, a few years back keeping in mind I wanted to change my field in the future so it might help.
My main query is whether my work-ex is valuable or not, especially from the point of view of my post-MBA aspirations of working in the finance field.

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The good news for you is, recruiters expect a lot of career switchers among the throngs of those interviewing for post MBA entry level jobs, so you generally don't have to come with a ton of finance experience to get a finance job. The CFA will actually impress the recruiters just as much as the b-school degree, so I would say you should have a good shot. Some buldge bracket firms also will ask what you got on the GMAT quant section in the interview. The trick with you may be the issue of employability. Since most top finance firms are outside of your home country, and concentrated in places like Hong Kong, London, New York, etc. , it would behoove you to have a potential employer who is willing to sponsor an Hb1 Visa for you. Sometimes the issue of visa can also weigh into the b-school admissions decision as well, since schools do not want students lingering on without the ability to land a job after graduation and thereby cutting into their precious rankings stats. I think outside of this, your chances to get into a top school assuming you get what you are targeting on the GMAT are good. The Indian applicant pool is a large one and the fact you work for a family business is very common among Indian applicants. B-schools tend to discount somewhat your experience when it's in the family business, but don't let that deter you from applying. You need to ask yourself what sets you apart from other Indian engineers who hail from a family business background. If the answer to this question is "a lot," then you should have a good shot.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews