Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg 1YR '15
GMAT Date: 05-17-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 13:44
If this is slightly familiar, I originally posted in the fall of 2011 and decided against business school at that time.

Undergrad GPA: 3.56 (top 10 liberal arts school)
Undergrad Degree: BA Economics/Russian
Grad GPA: 3.46
Graduate Degree: MA International Relations (for this specialty, my program is considered to be either #1 or #2)
Continuing Education Certificate in Survey Design and Data Analysis from a well-known university, 4.0 GPA (in progress)
GMAT: 740. Quant was 93ish%, Verbal 80ish% (don't remember precisely), AWA 6.0
Recommendations: I can get glowing recs from my most recent former supervisor and an ex-professor, I'm sure I can get one more strong recommendation
International Work Experience: 6 months in the former USSR, 8 months in Thailand, and frequent trips to Afghanistan (approx 40% coverage of my current job)
Other: Speak English (native), Russian (rather fluent), French (I don't embarrass myself), formal instruction in Spanish, Dari, Georgian and Thai (which I can back up with transcripts if not actual ability)

I'm currently the head of data collection, monitoring and evaluation at a small company that does work in conflict and post conflict countries. I oversee 3 people directly and 50-100 people indirectly depending on the projects we have going on. I've been in this position for over a year. I anticipate leaving the company within the next 3 months for reasons that do not have to do with me or anything within my control. I will not be able to stay on past August 31 of this year under any circumstance. I am currently looking at other M&E opportunities, but whatever it is, it won't be as impressive as this one.

I have been an economics research assistant for a number of research think tanks for a total of 2 years. I have been a public relations assistant for a total of one year.

My plan is to be a consultant for companies that want to enter or stay in conflict and post conflict regions, which offer unique opportunities. For the skeptical, the best example is Toyota in Afghanistan: The parts suppliers of all the other auto companies all left after the collapse of the presidential dictatorship in 1979, but Toyota stayed on. The Soviets let Toyota stay, and all of the other cars broke down. After 30 years of chaos, Toyota still has over 90% market share of the entire (and burgeoning) Afghan auto market. I need to go to a consulting firm to learn best practices, and then I'd strike out on my own.

I'm thinking maybe Kellogg or Stanford, but I need some guidance as to what is feasible for me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 15:43
Thanks for the posting.

I find your background compelling and know admissions will too (consider if you properly present yourself in your applications). I would invest the time, energy and resources into the application as I think if you do, you will be please with the outcome.

As for which school to apply to, I would strongly encourage you to apply to those that value backgrounds like yours -- which from my perspective would be HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth and Columbia. If money is a factor, I would strongly encourage you to apply to Johnson (Parke Fellowship) and Ross -- as I think you might be able to get a fairly large fellowship. I also encourage you to consider one or two schools overseas - namely Insead and LBS.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free consultation.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 23:04
Hi,

You are pretty much focused on post-MBA goals. Sound good!! Prepare yourself to answer questions like: how an MBA from XYZ b-school will help you to achieve your goals, what will you bring to the classroom, how will you contribute to the b-school society, what is your leadership style, etc. If you are able to frame these questions well in essays and interviews, then you would stand chance in top b-school(s). You may try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php

Hope this helps!!

Regards
Erina

inostranets wrote:
If this is slightly familiar, I originally posted in the fall of 2011 and decided against business school at that time.

Undergrad GPA: 3.56 (top 10 liberal arts school)
Undergrad Degree: BA Economics/Russian
Grad GPA: 3.46
Graduate Degree: MA International Relations (for this specialty, my program is considered to be either #1 or #2)
Continuing Education Certificate in Survey Design and Data Analysis from a well-known university, 4.0 GPA (in progress)
GMAT: 740. Quant was 93ish%, Verbal 80ish% (don't remember precisely), AWA 6.0
Recommendations: I can get glowing recs from my most recent former supervisor and an ex-professor, I'm sure I can get one more strong recommendation
International Work Experience: 6 months in the former USSR, 8 months in Thailand, and frequent trips to Afghanistan (approx 40% coverage of my current job)
Other: Speak English (native), Russian (rather fluent), French (I don't embarrass myself), formal instruction in Spanish, Dari, Georgian and Thai (which I can back up with transcripts if not actual ability)

I'm currently the head of data collection, monitoring and evaluation at a small company that does work in conflict and post conflict countries. I oversee 3 people directly and 50-100 people indirectly depending on the projects we have going on. I've been in this position for over a year. I anticipate leaving the company within the next 3 months for reasons that do not have to do with me or anything within my control. I will not be able to stay on past August 31 of this year under any circumstance. I am currently looking at other M&E opportunities, but whatever it is, it won't be as impressive as this one.

I have been an economics research assistant for a number of research think tanks for a total of 2 years. I have been a public relations assistant for a total of one year.

My plan is to be a consultant for companies that want to enter or stay in conflict and post conflict regions, which offer unique opportunities. For the skeptical, the best example is Toyota in Afghanistan: The parts suppliers of all the other auto companies all left after the collapse of the presidential dictatorship in 1979, but Toyota stayed on. The Soviets let Toyota stay, and all of the other cars broke down. After 30 years of chaos, Toyota still has over 90% market share of the entire (and burgeoning) Afghan auto market. I need to go to a consulting firm to learn best practices, and then I'd strike out on my own.

I'm thinking maybe Kellogg or Stanford, but I need some guidance as to what is feasible for me.

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg 1YR '15
GMAT Date: 05-17-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 10:30
So I did leave my position at the small start-up, but now I do the same thing as my previous position (head of data collection with analysis responsibilities) in another conflict zone with a very large and well-known NGO. My work still has a start-up feel since this is the first time the NGO took this monitoring strategy, and I'm piloting it.

How would this affect my profile, provided the rest is the same? I plan on staying until I matriculate in fall 2014

Thanks!
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2013, 10:30