Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 16:02
Hi Scott,

I was hoping to get your analysis on my chances of entering my schools of choice (i.e. will I be competitive/in good standing during applications, should I be applying to different schools, etc.) and any other advice you have to offer.

GMAT: 700 (48Q, 86%, 38V, 85%)
GPA: 3.39 (BS in Business Administration from UC Berkeley, minor in Education and having taken numerous technically difficult computer science courses)
Awards: 4 year winner of California Alumni Leadership Scholarship
Nationality: Chinese American (born and raised in the US)
Languages: English, Mandarin, basic Spanish

Work experience:

I have spent the past 3 years working full time at one of the Big 4 Public Accounting firms (will be 4 years by the time I wish to enroll in Fall 2006). I've spent 2.5 years auditing firms of different industries, including those with publicly traded stock, and spent 0.5 years performing tax work. In addition, I have obtained my CPA license.

Prior to this, I had spent my preceding three summers working as a Marketing Intern at an Investment bank, Forensics Accounting Intern at a small CPA firm, and at a bookstore.

Extra Curricular:

During school I volunteered tutoring elementary and high school kids in the Urban areas around UC Berkeley, as well as served as an officer for a couple of semesters in my Business fraternity. I also helped prepare income taxes for low income families utilizing my Chinese for those who did not speak English as their first language.

After graduation, I have served as a mentor for students in my same fraternity, and have volunteered through a work-sponsored volunteer program. Through this program, I was able to head up and organize a couple of bowl-a-thons for the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society, as well as participate in the March of Dimes Heart Walk that occurs each year. In addition, I have helped my company organize a recreational sports team for its employees.

After B-school plans:

Through my work experience, I have developed a fondness for the real estate industry, and would like to get into real estate finance and/or asset management for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs).

Schools:

Most of my family is in California, and I wish to remain in-state. As such, my list of schools include (in order from reach to safety school):

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UC Irvine

Thank you very much, Scott. I appreciate any time you spend on this.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2005, 18:14
Expert's post
I think you have a strong profile! Lots of interesting things for you to talk about in your app. Be sure to not only discuss your community involvement, but to also explain WHY you do these things -- make sure that the adcomms understand your passion for these things (and hopefully you ARE passionate about them).

I don't really see any weaknesses. Just be sure that your career goals (real estate) logically fit into your story. Real estate is pretty hot these days, so you don't want to blend in too much and sound like just another person chasing the $$ in real estate. This is a relatively minor concern, though. Don't worry about it too much.

I bet you'll get into at least one of those schools. Re: your "safer" schools, be sure that you want to attend all of them. Put another way, don't apply to any school that you're not willing to attend. For instance, if you *only* get into UC Irvine, would you go? Hopefully the answer is yes. I just raise that point since some people apply to a few schools including a safety school, and then when they only get into their safety school, they decide to apply again next year. Only apply to schools that you're truly interested in attending.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews