Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 03:21
Paul,

I'm 28y old portuguese male with 42 months exp. (I know it isn't that much for someone my age) by the time a 2007 programme starts.
My GPA is quite poor (12 out of 20), but in portugal this is slightly below average only.
I worked in 4 diverse sectors most of them for less than a year each, furthermore, one of the places was a family firm in which I worked all my way trhough college and in 2 separate times afterwards. My main reason to pursue an MBA is to remove a career advance capping factor that are the points stated above (here family firm work is usually not well regarded). While at this firm (a civil engeneering projects one) I had responsb. that were so diverse as projects management, to human resources or financial analysis.

Extracurriculars are mostly sports, college rugby champion, national rugby 2nd division champion, judo national teams runner up. Apart from these and other sports I've also been investing in the NASDAQ and NYSE since 2000 on a daily basis.

I have 280 Toefl (though I'll have to take it again soon for it will be out of date tomorrow --> fourtunatly I already applied to 3 schools) and 700 (45Q,40V) GMAT

Do I stand a chance at top US or European schools?

Which ones? I wish probably to change industries (I'm relationship manager at non performing loan company, but probably changing to an analyst role) and I want to move to management consulting or IB.

Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 17:42
antapple wrote:
Paul,

I'm 28y old portuguese male with 42 months exp. (I know it isn't that much for someone my age) by the time a 2007 programme starts.
My GPA is quite poor (12 out of 20), but in portugal this is slightly below average only.
I worked in 4 diverse sectors most of them for less than a year each, furthermore, one of the places was a family firm in which I worked all my way trhough college and in 2 separate times afterwards. My main reason to pursue an MBA is to remove a career advance capping factor that are the points stated above (here family firm work is usually not well regarded). While at this firm (a civil engeneering projects one) I had responsb. that were so diverse as projects management, to human resources or financial analysis.

Extracurriculars are mostly sports, college rugby champion, national rugby 2nd division champion, judo national teams runner up. Apart from these and other sports I've also been investing in the NASDAQ and NYSE since 2000 on a daily basis.

I have 280 Toefl (though I'll have to take it again soon for it will be out of date tomorrow --> fourtunatly I already applied to 3 schools) and 700 (45Q,40V) GMAT

Do I stand a chance at top US or European schools?

Which ones? I wish probably to change industries (I'm relationship manager at non performing loan company, but probably changing to an analyst role) and I want to move to management consulting or IB.

Thank you.

antapple,

Your career progress seems spotty and incoherent, so you will want to work out a "narrative" that helps the adcoms make sense of it and you will want to identify all your high-impact leadership experiences so you can discuss them in your essays. You will also need to explain why you have only 3-plus years of work experience at age 28--maybe you did something else with that time that would make for a good essay. It would also help if you could show some community or extracurricular leadership since college. The fact that you are Portuguese helps you stand out from the crowd--make the most of it.

As for U.S. schools, you have a chance at Emory, USC, Florida (Warrington), North Carolina, Virginia, and/or Notre Dame--all strong schools. Outside the U.S., perhaps schools at the level of Manchester, Toronto Rotman, ESADE, and Western Ontario would be your best bets.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 04:36
Well, as for the only 3 years exp. I have at least 24 months explained (1 I went almost a year late to school because my birthday was in november and in my school whoever had his birthday after september would only start 1st grade the year after, the other 12 months were in account of being 1 year out of school before university so that I could enter the top school in portugal).
As for the rest I have been working almost full time during my whole undergraduation.

We'll see what schools think of me, but this truly is the year I should have my MBA taken, for about 10 differente reasons (if I get an interview I'm sure that those will be taken into account!).
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 16:44
antapple wrote:
Well, as for the only 3 years exp. I have at least 24 months explained (1 I went almost a year late to school because my birthday was in november and in my school whoever had his birthday after september would only start 1st grade the year after, the other 12 months were in account of being 1 year out of school before university so that I could enter the top school in portugal).
As for the rest I have been working almost full time during my whole undergraduation.

We'll see what schools think of me, but this truly is the year I should have my MBA taken, for about 10 differente reasons (if I get an interview I'm sure that those will be taken into account!).

Best of luck to you.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 11:58
Thank you very much!!
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 01:03
antapple wrote:
Thank you very much!!

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 05:21
Thank you paul for your advice, of those schools I chose Darden to apply to and yesterday I got my acceptence phone call, so thanks again for the advice!
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 19:46
antapple wrote:
Thank you paul for your advice, of those schools I chose Darden to apply to and yesterday I got my acceptence phone call, so thanks again for the advice!

Antapple,

Congratulations! That's great news. Good luck to you in Charlottesville.

Paul Bodine /