Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation: 640 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Concordia University (Molson) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation: 640 GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 19:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone, first time posting here. I've got some questions following my gmat test. So here are some details:

1) Basic demographic info: M, 27, Canadian. Bilingual (English/French)

2) Educational Background: Undergraduate in Material Engineering (2,8 GPA, but 3,3 over the last 2 years), Master of Applied Science in Metallurgical Engineering (3.5 GPA, but I'm not sure if it's relevant). GMAT score of 640 (33V, 44Q).

3) Work experience: Worked for 2 years as a process development research engineer for an aerospace startup. Since the end of 2010, i'm now working as a research engineer for a Global 500 company. Mostly responsible of technical service with clients and development of new products.

4) Extracurriculars: None.

5) Short/Long term goals: I have no geographic preferences. On the short term, I have a strong interest for Product Management/Market Analysis/Business Innovation.

6) Schools: I'm looking at canadian MBAs. UBC Sauder (full time) would be my first choice, as it focus on my interests. My second choice would be McGill Part-time and then Concordia Part-time.

Given my low undergraduate GPA, should i retake the gmat? Does my master degree have any influence at all? Also, I couldn't find any data on the average GMAT for McGill part-time. Given that the average for full time is 670, i guess it should be somewhat lower for part-time...?

Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile evaluation: 640 GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 19:56
Karpodsa wrote:
Hello everyone, first time posting here. I've got some questions following my gmat test. So here are some details:

1) Basic demographic info: M, 27, Canadian. Bilingual (English/French)

2) Educational Background: Undergraduate in Material Engineering (2,8 GPA, but 3,3 over the last 2 years), Master of Applied Science in Metallurgical Engineering (3.5 GPA, but I'm not sure if it's relevant). GMAT score of 640 (33V, 44Q).

3) Work experience: Worked for 2 years as a process development research engineer for an aerospace startup. Since the end of 2010, i'm now working as a research engineer for a Global 500 company. Mostly responsible of technical service with clients and development of new products.

4) Extracurriculars: None.

5) Short/Long term goals: I have no geographic preferences. On the short term, I have a strong interest for Product Management/Market Analysis/Business Innovation.

6) Schools: I'm looking at canadian MBAs. UBC Sauder (full time) would be my first choice, as they focus on my interests. My second choice would be McGill Part-time and then Concordia Part-time.

Given my low undergraduate GPA, should i retake the gmat? Does my master degree have any influence at all? Also, I couldn't find any data on the average GMAT for McGill part-time. Given that the average for full time is 670, i guess it should be somewhat lower for part-time...?

Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post!

Hello,

Given your choice of programs I think your GMAT score is competitive enough ( i am assuming that you do not want to apply to any other program than mentioned above ). If you think that you can re-take your GMAT and can increase a few points, you may give it a try (a few more points may also help you to get decent scholarship as well)

At UBC, the average score is 650, so you fit in the bill, for rest of the part time programs also your GMAT will not be a constraint for you.

GPA of your undergrad and masters - both - will be taken into consideration for inferring your academic excellence, but you can defend your ( a bit low, not tooo low ) GMAT score.

Overall, if you have only these three programs in your mind, i would suggest to give more time on essays and craft a compelling story (especially your leadership, because with limited information i am unable to find if any strong leadership at work is displayed, because you have already mentioned no ECs)

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Profile evaluation: 640 GMAT   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2012, 19:56