Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 13:20
Alex, I am requesting your advice because I have read your previous posts and know you give an honest opinion.

Goal: What is my chance of admission to NYU Stern - Langone Part-time MBA?
Typical Admitted Class Information
Undergraduate GPA: 80% range 2.9-3.8
GMAT score: 80% range 610-730
Average years of work experience: 80% range 2-10

GPA
• I have an overall GPA of 2.5, I transferred and received 72 of my 120 credits from another university and received a GPA of 2.7 (B- avg), my 2.5 overall GPA is within .4 of 1 point of the 80% acceptance GPA range.
• Due to a family financial situation I needed to work (approx. 20-25 hours per week) through school and will address this in my optional essay.
• My GPA is 2.9 between Statistics, Accounting, and Economics.

GMAT
• What GMAT score range would I need to be competitive? I am guessing 650-680 on the GMAT and have a good overall package (recommendations and essays).

Alternative Transcript
• How important would it be to build an alternative transcript such as taking a class at my local community college? Does it matter what class I take? I was thinking about a marketing class.

Current Work Experience

• 1 yr experience working in credit/controller training program for the largest plumbing distributor in the U.S.
• The past 3 yrs doing accounting/operations work for the Capital Group for a top 5 U.S. insurance company that issues private bonds (off balance sheet) (from my understanding this is not very common).
• Worked on several Projects and promoted once 18 months after hire date.
• As of August 2009 I have 4yrs working experience

Post MBA Career goals
• Become a Portfolio Manager or Trader.

Community Involvement

• Through a program at work I tutor underprivileged kids during the school year.
• I also volunteer at fund raising walks for Autism speaks.

Finally, I read in an online forum that a prospective student talked to a Stern professor and the professor said the best time to apply is in the spring because NYU doesn’t report their spring admissions statistics. Is there any truth to that?
Could you provide any other fulltime or part-time programs I should consider.

Thanks for your time,

Brian
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 22:48
General rule of thumb: you have to outperform the GMAT if your GPA is below the average (and even more so if it's outside the middle 80%).

Which means you realistically need 700 or greater to be competitive. Otherwise, it's going to be a roll of the dice.

As for taking extension classes to address a low GPA, the standard practice is to take quant courses - college level calculus, algebra, statistics, microeconomics, macroeconomics. No brownie points in this area for doing something different. Just take 1 or 2 of these courses (freshman/intro level courses are sufficient).

As for the spring admissions stats, I don't know offhand.

In any case, your entire focus right now should be on the GMAT. Do whatever it takes - take some courses, hire a tutor, make it your priority. With a mid to high 600s score you won't be shut out, but you will need a bit of luck on your side (assuming your application is well executed, which is a must regardless of your GMAT score). The GMAT isn't everything, but it's a critical first hurdle (sort of like height to basketball).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 15:51
Hi Alex,

I have several follow questions I hope you won’t mind answering about the extension classes.

1. I already hold a BS in finance, so I have taken the classes you suggested. Could I take one of them again such as Macro or Micro? (Classes you suggested were college level calculus, algebra, statistics, microeconomics & macroeconomics)

2. Does it matter at my local community college that Macro & Micro are 100 level classes and where I received my BS they are 200 level classes?

3. I am shooting for fall 2010 enrollment, if I decide to take a class in the spring my final grade will not be available until after the second or third rounds of admission. I read some schools might put me on their wait list or offer admission with postponement until my final grade is in. Is that a viable option and should I still apply for 2010 or wait for 2011?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 11:27
You're overthinking the choice of extension classes - just take the courses that you are most interested in and which best fit your schedule -- and ace them.

As for timing, if you're ready to apply this year, then go for it - if you get put on the waitlist, then the grades you get on the extension classes can serve as additional info you furnish to show that you've taken steps to improve your profile (in other words, if you do get waitlisted, chances are is that your essays were strong enough to warrant close consideration, but not strong enough to overcome your academics to give you an acceptance).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2009, 11:27