Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 06:22
hi
nationality - indian
specifics - Chemical engineer , junior at college
Gmat - 690 (q 50 , v 34 ) awa -5.0
Gpa - 70% ( top 10 in class ) - college recognised as one of the best for chemical - alot of stress on studies .

work exp -1. 2 month internship at hay management consultancy - analyst position
2. 6 weeks in an investment bank
3. part time job at a branding startup( 4 months ) - working with movie production houses and corporates ( handled individual project worth Rs 2 crores)
4. In process of starting a start up
5. campus placement officer for year 2009-10

6. Project with a professor regarding starting a "green tech " startup

EC- Started the social club in college and was responsible for partly adopting a school for poor
marketing head of inter college festival (event ) - for 2 years handling around 10 teams and managing around 10000 people .
Was responsible for developing the festival into a recognisable entity .
Volunteered in cancer hospital for 4 weeks
Was selected as a top 200 student from 2 lakhs students in physics in india .
Active equity trader

sports - captain of school basketball team for 3 years
member of college basketball team for 3 years
member of cricket team since first year of college

Schools - Hbs 2+2( dream school ) , Iese Ytp , Wharton , Lbs( mim)

career goal - want to work 5-10 years in consultancy/ i bank . then go into venture captitalism and also start an car manufacture company . Harvard has been my dream school since the age i am able to say harvard .
Gmat is less but , prepared only for 15 days de to lack of time .
would be really grateful if you could evaluate my profile and give me some insights on how to improve it .
please please give me insights on how to improve my profile

sincerely
hbs aspirant
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 09:48
Expert's post
Hi nikhilvinci,

You have started to assemble a strong profile, but (as I'm sure you know) there are thousands of other young Indian applicants who also want to get into Harvard/Stanford/Wharton every year. So, you will need to put together a VERY compelling reason why they should consider you.

I see some good achievements in your history, but the thought that came to mind while looking at your profile was, "I don't see a consistent theme here." I see chemical engineering, marketing, banking, and "green tech" in your background. Then, you say you want to work in consulting or banking (pick one!) and then start a car company after business school. While it may seem great that you've worked in/studied so many areas, this will leave admissions officers wondering who the real you is. Think about which one or two things you really are most passionate about, and focus on these for the next year or two before applying!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 20:40
hi
first of all thanks for the reply . do you mean that i should not apply for hbs 2+2 program .
Also all these internships that were done were done with good results and have job offers from both.
Also these internships done were well thought out , in respect that each one will help in my main goal that is entreprenuership.
Is it ok if i can mention the story that connects these internships together to give me my main goal .
Awaiting you reply
Hbs aspirant
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 09:22
Expert's post
There's certainly nothing to stop you from applying to HBS 2+2 now, but I will be honest and tell you that I think your chances of getting in are low. You are probably better of getting a couple of years of full-time experience and then applying. Focus on one or two things, and do well in those over the next 2-3 years.

Good luck!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 09:42
hi scott

thanks for replying ..
and thanks alot for being honest ..really appreciate it ..
but can u give me a profile of a person or two , who have gotten admitted .. that would really help.
awaitng you reply
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 14:05
Expert's post
Young people who get admitted to HBS 2+2 or other "young" programs often have two things: 1) Impressive leadership credentials, usually outside the workplace since they don't yet have full-time jobs, and 2) a compelling reason for why they need to earn an MBA now, rather than 3-5 years from now. If someone has an opportunity to run a family business, or another reason why it's important for them to earn their degree now instead of waiting, that's a more compelling case for admission.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 20:54
hi
yes i understand that . But can you provide me with a profile of a person or two , so that i can actually understand , what are the type of competition that is present . That will really help .
awaiting your reply
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:32
Expert's post
I can't share the details of clients we've actually worked with, but you need to think about why you need the degree now!

Good luck to you,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews