Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation and Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation and Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 12:54
Hello,

I am a 22 year old student from Bulgaria. At present I am in my sophomore year at Sofia University (best in Bulgaria, but not popular in the US) majoring in Political Science and during the fall of my senior year (2013) I am planning to apply to two master programs in the US – Harvard Business School 2+2 program and Duke’s Fuqua School of Business Master of Management Studies. Long term I wish to pursue a career in general management. I would like to ask you to evaluate my profile and chances to get accepted to these two programs.

Do you also think I have any chances to be accepted to a top MBA program (HBS, Wharton) if I apply directly upon my graduation from university?

Could you give me any advice about strengthening my profile during the next two years?

1. Education

At first I spent four semesters studying Mathematics (GPA – 5.67/6.00; courses in Calculus, Linear and Abstract Algebra, Analytical Geometry, Differential Equations; all taken with A or B) but then I changed my major to Political Science, right now in my sophomore year (GPA 6.00/6.00).

I will spend the next year at a top university in the US (plan to study Intermediate Micro/Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Statistics, Calculus III & IV) as a recipient of the America for Bulgaria Foundation Scholarship.

Scholarships and Awards: University Student Scholarship, European Social Fund Scholarship for Academic Excellence, University Annual Academic Award

Other certificates: Fermo Summer School 2011, Italy – Certificate in European Union Governance(Research Paper on New Models of Governance in the European Union)

Fulbright International Summer Institute 2011 – Certificate of Completion of the following courses: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Global Financial Strategy, and Creative Leadership

Colorado Technical University, USA – Certificate in Creative Leadership

Euro-Mediterranean, Slovenia – Certificate of Attendance of the following courses: Module I: Business, Finance and Module IV: Law

2. Professional Experience

I am starting a six-month internship at Teach for Bulgaria in January working for the Analyses and Impact Evaluation Division.

Two internships so far: Bulgarian Parliament, Foreign Policy and Defense Committee (three months - prepared reasoned opinions and reports on the bills voted, memos from foreign delegations visits, and press releases; Initiated new activities for the interns and coordinated them when working together on group tasks) & Bulgarian Ministry of Finance, Economic and Financial Policy Directorate (one month - drafted positions for the ECOFIN meetings; followed the infringement procedures against Bulgaria; coordinated the mechanism of travel expenses reimbursement; prepared a special report on recommendations and improvements in the internship program organization, approved by the Director of Human Resources Directorate and to be implemented in the next year), Solid recommendation from the Deputy Minister of Finance

3. Leadership experience

Member of the Executive Board of Young European Federalists, Bulgaria – organized public discussions with Bulgarian Ministers, Members of the European Parliament, Mayors, the Governor of the Bulgarian National Bank, and the Bulgarian President

Vice President of University Student Council and Chairman of the Education Committee – conducted student surveys, led group projects, and participated in discussions with the Minister of Education about future educational reforms in Bulgaria

Vice President of University Student Club of Political Science – initiated and organized public lectures, discussions, and debates

University Department of Philosophy Student Council, Chairman of the Alumni Committee – developed the first alumni database at the university

Member of University General Assembly (Elects the Rector and approves the Rector’s annual report), University Department of Mathematics and Informatics General Assembly (Elects the Dean, and approves the Dean’s annual report), University Academic Council (The major university management structure), University Control Council (One of the university management structures), University Department of Philosophy General Assembly (Elects the Dean and approves the Dean’s annual report), and University Department of Philosophy Council (The major faculty management structure)

Other:

Nominated to attend the International Scholar Laureate Program in the US (placed among the most highly qualified university students in the world)

Nominated to serve as a Global Scholar representing Bulgaria at the Global Young Leaders Conference in the USA (selected among a group of highly motivated and accomplished students (fewer than 1 percent of all high-achieving high school students) from around the world by the Board of Advisers comprised of 369 members of the US Congress)

Delegate to the National Model United Nations 2012, New York City, NY, USA

Member of the National Society of High School Scholars (Atlanta, GA, USA)

Languages: English (fluent), German (good), Bulgarian

Software: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SPSS

GMAT: not taken yet, plan to take it in July this year aiming at 700 and above

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation and Advice [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 13:36
Expert's post
Hi Bikov,

You have a very strong application. Although most business schools like to see at least 2 years of experience, some (including Harvard and the Stanford GSB), are more willing to look at younger candidates. I recommend you read this case study of a young candidate who was accepted into Harvard:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/07/14/sbc-scoop-–-a-college-senior-applicant/

I also encourage you to focus your time on your GMAT studies. The average GMAT score at top programs continues to increase, and your score will be an important factor to admissions teams. Lastly, remember that business schools are looking to cultivate future leaders, so any leadership experience you can discuss will be important.

Here is some school specific advice for Harvard: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/harvard-advice/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap