Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation and Advise Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation and Advise Please [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 13:20
Hi,

I was wondering if you could evaluate my profile and comment on schools I am targeting?

All numbers are for matriculation in the Fall of 2011
Undergrad GPA: 3.35
Undergrad Major: Aerospace Engineering from a large public university. I have also taken a handful of graduate level business courses post-grad for personal fulfillment.
GMAT:690 but I was planning on a retake.
Work Experience: 4 years at a large aerospace company with some very unique experiences that show leadership. Promoted once. I also worked in the engineering department of a large airline in undergrad.
Extracurriculars: Club sports captain for many sports (college and post college). I competitively compete in one high level amateur sport and am also an avid golfer.
Awards: State mathematics award in HS (not sure how relevant that is)

Focus post-mba: I would like to pursue an MBA to transition from engineering into the finance field.

I am assuming that I retake the GMAT with at least a 720 and am planning on focusing on the following schools:
Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, Columbia, NYU, MIT, Duke, Texas

Although that is where my list is right now, I fully expect to narrow it down for applications. Are these schools in the right regime for my statistics?

Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation and Advise Please [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 16:27
They're in the right range. The key thing for you is how well you execute your applications - biggest risk is getting lost in the shuffle, blending in. If you do get dinged, it won't be because of any concerns - but that you failed to stand out. And if you do get accepted, it will likely be because enough adcoms within the school liked you as an individual based on what they saw in your applications and interview.

In short, in your case it's a personality contest + a bit of luck.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation and Advise Please [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 13:49
Thank you!
Re: Profile Evaluation and Advise Please   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2010, 13:49