Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 11:43
Here is a brief summary of my profile as per the template preferred by you. Request you to please provide your inputs (validate my assessment :D)

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
- 38 months in Assurance, KPMG India
- 10 months in Transaction Advisory Services, Ernst & Young India

2) Your GMAT.
- 720 (first and only attempt) Q49, V39

3) College info:
a. Chartered Accountant, Class of 2010 of the ICAI
Cleared all three levels in first attempt. Ranked 44 across India, Nepal and Dubai in level 2 examinations. Average percentage across three levels 60% ie first division.
b. Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) University of Delhi
Average percentage (three year course) 72% (first division is granted at 60%)
Note – Checked with WES, first division or 60% in India is stated as equivalent to grade A in US.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
- Part of school, college and office (captain as well) football and basketball teams.
- Formed the KPMG sports team with the help of a Director of a separate division whom I met during my first introduction session at KPMG. Participated and won (silver and gold) in Cry Sports meet for corporates.
- Helped sell tihar jail inmates products (jute bags, lunch boxes) to employees at various companies .

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
- Chartered Accountant. In dilemma regarding CFA. It is an expensive course so I want to be perfectly sure about enrolling in it. Still evaluating the pros of doing it vs obtaining a CPA degree or becoming a member of ICAEW. Also, not yet decided whether to enrol for the December level 1 exam (if at all) or June 2013.

6) Your target programs.
- FT MBA at INSEAD (Sep13 intake)
- International MBA at IE (April13 intake)
- FT MBA at HEC Paris (Sep13 intake)
- FT MBA at HKUST
- PGP at ISB (Apr13 intake)

7) Your post-MBA goal.
- To be engaged in M&A consulting primarily focused on Information, Communication and Entertainment sectors in Asia/Europe.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 21:03
Expert's post
ShalabhAr wrote:
Here is a brief summary of my profile as per the template preferred by you. Request you to please provide your inputs (validate my assessment :D)

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
- 38 months in Assurance, KPMG India
- 10 months in Transaction Advisory Services, Ernst & Young India

2) Your GMAT.
- 720 (first and only attempt) Q49, V39

3) College info:
a. Chartered Accountant, Class of 2010 of the ICAI
Cleared all three levels in first attempt. Ranked 44 across India, Nepal and Dubai in level 2 examinations. Average percentage across three levels 60% ie first division.
b. Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) University of Delhi
Average percentage (three year course) 72% (first division is granted at 60%)
Note – Checked with WES, first division or 60% in India is stated as equivalent to grade A in US.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
- Part of school, college and office (captain as well) football and basketball teams.
- Formed the KPMG sports team with the help of a Director of a separate division whom I met during my first introduction session at KPMG. Participated and won (silver and gold) in Cry Sports meet for corporates.
- Helped sell tihar jail inmates products (jute bags, lunch boxes) to employees at various companies .

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
- Chartered Accountant. In dilemma regarding CFA. It is an expensive course so I want to be perfectly sure about enrolling in it. Still evaluating the pros of doing it vs obtaining a CPA degree or becoming a member of ICAEW. Also, not yet decided whether to enrol for the December level 1 exam (if at all) or June 2013.

6) Your target programs.
- FT MBA at INSEAD (Sep13 intake)
- International MBA at IE (April13 intake)
- FT MBA at HEC Paris (Sep13 intake)
- FT MBA at HKUST
- PGP at ISB (Apr13 intake)

7) Your post-MBA goal.
- To be engaged in M&A consulting primarily focused on Information, Communication and Entertainment sectors in Asia/Europe.

You have a competitive profile for HKUST, IE, and ISB. If you also have an international component to your work experience -- evidence of an "international outlook" in INSEAD's words, then you have a competitive profile for INSEAD, and HEC too (provided you meet the language requirements there).

Best,
Linda Abraham

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 02:15
Thanks for your reply.

In terms of 'international outlook', although I have not had the opportunity to go on professional trips abroad but do have personal visits to add to my profile. However, I have worked with foreign clients albeit on their business ventures in India and interacted with them only on mail/calls.

I got it confirmed from both HEC and INSEAD regarding my language requirements. I do not need to take a language test. As far as the Insead three language policy is concerned, I comply with it. I know english, hindi (native) and German (High school as well as language course).

Finally, other than what is stated above, could you also help me whether I should opt for a longer term MBA than 10 months as I intend to switch laterally from my current employment. Also, if so which schools should I be looking at?

Thanks
Expert Post

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:24
Expert's post
ShalabhAr wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

In terms of 'international outlook', although I have not had the opportunity to go on professional trips abroad but do have personal visits to add to my profile. However, I have worked with foreign clients albeit on their business ventures in India and interacted with them only on mail/calls.

I got it confirmed from both HEC and INSEAD regarding my language requirements. I do not need to take a language test. As far as the Insead three language policy is concerned, I comply with it. I know english, hindi (native) and German (High school as well as language course).

Finally, other than what is stated above, could you also help me whether I should opt for a longer term MBA than 10 months as I intend to switch laterally from my current employment. Also, if so which schools should I be looking at?

Thanks

Given that you are planning a career change, I suggest a program that includes an internship. If you start in INSEAD's January term, it includes an internship, but is still of fairly short duration. The internship is important.

Given your personal travel and multi-cultural interactions, you should be able to make a case for a global or at least multi-cultural perspective and experience.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 09:55
Thanks for your helpful replies and your time Linda. Really appreciate it. :)
Expert Post

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 13:44
Expert's post
ShalabhAr wrote:
Thanks for your helpful replies and your time Linda. Really appreciate it. :)

You're most welcome.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: Profile evaluation and CFA dilemma [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 07:24
Shalabh - Just noticed that you completed your CA in 2010 and have shown your experience at KPMG as 38 months. I am not sure how it works, as per my understanding only the post qualification experience is considered by the schools.

Can you / somebody else throw some more light on this?