Status: Waiting for Wharton
Joined: 18 Jul 2011
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V45
, given: 2
Profile evaluation: entrepeneur and physicist [#permalink]
04 Aug 2011, 03:02
An evaluation of my profile would be most welcome! Thank you in advance!
Personal info: Swedish citizen, 30[m].
1) Professional exp: Started a high tech startup in hardware in 2006, has worked with that since then in a managerial role [project manager, chairman of the board for two years, now member of the board]. At the same time as I have gotten my PhD in Physics from The Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm Sweden. The firm has a turnover of ~400k€ and 7 full time and part time employees.
Earlier experience from a technical role in another high tech startup.
2) Your GMAT: 730 (Q45,V45). Very strange result since as a physicist I would have expected a higher quant score than verbal score. Should I retake to better reflect my "extreme" quant background?
3) Academics: MSc Degree focused on Quantum Physics from mid tier Swedish university GPA 3.8 (I think) on a 5 scale. Graduated 2004. Later studies at more prestigious university, Chalmers university of technology, ~1year with better results focused on nanotechnology, but never finished (started working in a startup instead)
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities.
Played Olympic Team handball at high national level. Captain for several teams. Several scholarships awarded within my PhD studies. Both for entrepeneurship and for research. Solid publications in good physics journals. Did an exchange year in Canada during my Masters. Worked for three months at University of California in 2006. Avid Skier. PhD in Physics will be finished spring 2012.
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
6) Your target programs.
INSEAD, LBS. Stretch: Stanford, Columbia, Sloan. I am not really looking to do an MBA outside of top 10, but if other schools would be a better choice for me I am open to suggestions.
7) Your post-MBA goal.
Continued entrepeneurship, ideally in venture capital. I would love to work in finance, but not so sure that a career change is possible. If not possible I will continue on my high tech entrepeneurship path.
I am mostly worried about the low quant score on my GMAT and my less than stellar GPA. I never really focused on my GPA before going to Chalmers unfortunately. I could also see how my profile can be seen as someone that doesn't ever want to leave school. Any thoughts on how to alleviate that impression would also be appreciated.
Any thoughts on my profile and any suggestions for alternative business schools are extremely welcome!