Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 13:37
Hi,

I am currently preparing for GMAT which I intend to take in Jan end (actually I using Manhattan GMAT course and it's pretty good). I plan to start writing essays in the summer of 2010 for the academic year starting fall 2011. I am currently in engineering/operations role and plan to change field to finance. Could you please advise what my chances are for Wharton, Harvard and Stanford?

1) Basic demographic info: age, gender, nationality
Indian citizen working in the US. 28/male (will be 29 when I apply)

2) Educational Background: undergrad major, GPA, GMAT score, any grad work you've done
BS, Electrical Engineering (Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India) 2003: GPA 9.67/10, Rank: 2 out of 35 students
MS, ECE (University of IL at Urbana-Champaign) 2005: GPA: 3.95/4
GMAT: planning to take in Jan end. Hoping to get greater than 700
Completed CFA Level 2 in June 2009 and planning to take CFA Level 3 in June 2010

3) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?
Employer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (makes computer chips and is Intel's competitor)
Duration: from Aug 2005 to present (will be 5 years work experience by the time I apply)
Role: I started in technology but I was interested in learning more about business and hence went into operations. I have completed black belt six sigma training. I am working on improving manufacturing efficiency and reducing inventory using six sigma process improvements and statistical data analysis. I have led cross-functional teams across US, China and Singapore. Got a promotion last year.

4) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?
I have always been curious about stocks and investing. Knowing the basics of investing from CFA, I persuaded friends and other investors to invest in Austin's real estate and some local businesses, in effect creating a very small private equity firm. The balance sheet is still in red though. This has been in progress since about a year now.
Other than work and investing, I enjoy painting, playing cricket, acting and dancing salsa though I haven't taken any leadership role in these. I did work for AID (Association for India's Development) for a while but discovered that it is not my passion and doing community work just for getting admission into a B-school does not make sense.

5) Short/Long term goals: what do you want to do after your MBA? Any geographic preferences?
I have realized that I enjoy investing more when I have some control over the entity I am investing in. Hence I prefer to invest in real estate or local business. After MBA, I see myself either working in a venture capital firm or a private equity firm managing small to mid-size companies. Obviously for that I may need to go through investment banking. Other possible option is hedge funds.

6) Schools: Which schools have you considered already? Any on your initial short list?
Since I want to move into finance, I am definitely considering Wharton. I still need to find out more about University of Chicago, Stern and Columbia. I may apply to Stanford and Harvard just because they are in the top 5.

I do understand that my profile falls under Indian/male/IT Engineer category. Hopefully completing CFA Level 3 and taking a leadership position in funding a local investment will help differentiating me from others. What else would you suggest?

I do know a hedge fund owner in Austin. I can ask him if I can work in his hedge fund part time, without pay. It does mean squeezing time out of GMAT and CFA studies but it should be possible if he agrees to it. Do you think that will help?

Thank you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:44
neeravbm wrote:
Hi,
I do understand that my profile falls under Indian/male/IT Engineer category. Hopefully completing CFA Level 3 and taking a leadership position in funding a local investment will help differentiating me from others. What else would you suggest?

I do know a hedge fund owner in Austin. I can ask him if I can work in his hedge fund part time, without pay. It does mean squeezing time out of GMAT and CFA studies but it should be possible if he agrees to it. Do you think that will help?

Thank you!

Thank you for your inquiry. I will be forwarding your profile to one of our admissions consultants. We should be able to get back to you within the next few days. If you have any questions before then, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manhattan Review Test Prep & Admissions
Affiliations: London Business School
Schools: London Business School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 11:10
ManhattanReview wrote:
neeravbm wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!

Thank you for your inquiry. I will be forwarding your profile to one of our admissions consultants. We should be able to get back to you within the next few days. If you have any questions before then, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Hi Neeravbm,

On paper it looks good right now and you are right to think that your work ex sets you apart. You will need to add strong evidence of influencing, collaboration and leadership skills, including how those skills are recognised by superiors and peers-- very few candidates give enough emphasis to proof of these ultimate transferable skills. It is impossible to speculate on chances without a GMAT score, but with 730 plus and some really superlative references and essays, I'd say you have a very reasonable shot.

Your career aims probably need further focus. The mention of small to midsize companies strikes a jarring note: a) the mentioned schools look for people who want to make an impact on a larger scale and b) nothing in your noted background appears to prepare you for such a role. Taking a leadership role this spring in extracurriculars would be a good idea-- the investment club is not particularly impressive though not anything to be embarrassed about either. CFA is good, but qualifications that 'compete' with the MBA itself are a mixed blessing, they may ask what you would gain from the MBA itself, especially if you have international business rather than general management ambitions.

Hope this has proved helpful to you!

Chris | Manhattan Review - GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions | +1 212 997 1660 | UK: +44-20 3318 3131 | 10% Discount for GMAT Club Members

Re: Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2010, 11:10

Profile Evaluation for top 5 schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap