Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation GMAT.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation GMAT. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 05:30
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and scored 700(V49,Q35). Although,many people tell me that its a competent score,I still wanted to take advice from the Experts,and thus I have written this post.
I currently have 14 months of experience,but would attain 2 years of experience by the time I plan to join a business school i.e August 2011.
My academic performance in school has been quite good.My undergraduate CGPA is 8.13/10,which amounts to (3.252)/4.I have done my engineering from "National Institute of technology,Surat",which is one of the top and prestigious engineering colleges of my country.

->I scored 94% marks in my Class Xth examination and 87% marks in Class 12th examination.
->I was amongst the top 0.01% of the students in my country to appear in the social science examination held by the education board of my country.
->I was amongst the selected few to clear the Regional Mathematics Olympiad,(RMO) in the year 2005-06 and represent the north zone of my country in the Indian National Mathematics Olympiad (INMO).
->I have received back to back merit certificates from Delhi's Association of Mathematics teachers,for excellent mathematics performances.
->I represented my school in the district level roller-skating competition,some years back.
->Being a Computer Engineer,During my undergraduate degree course I found a security issue in the account handling of internet giants like Orkut and Yahoo and informed them of the same via e-mail.I was highly appreciated by the local media.I was invited on local FM station to spread awareness about this amongst the people of the city.
->I was the joint hostel Secretary during my first year of hostel life and the Hostel secretary in my final year.I was constantly involved in the hostel administration process during my undergraduate life and have even received appreciation for the same.
->I was also active in various committees and led a team of more than 50 members at a college event as a convener during my final year.

Please evaluate my profile and let me know if I have any shot of getting in the top 15 business schools.
Any helpful comment is welcome.
Thanks a lot guys.Hoping to hear soon as I will be starting my application process asap.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 06:40
As far as I know, AdComs do not want you to convert your grade to a 4.0 scale, and your 8.13 should be higher than just a 3.25 in the US. You talked about the length of your work experience (which makes you a young applicant), but not the quality of the job. The AdComs will care about what you have achieved, what you did, what you led, what you performed in your job, what your qualities represent. If you're able to convey much of these in the essays and on your resume, you'll be good. The way I look at 700 is (I have a 700 as well) that it'll put you in a pile where AdComs will definitely look at your profile holistically and entirely (unlike a person who turns in a 350 GMAT to Harvard which will probably get thrown in the trash relatively quick). A 700 will not keep you out, I don't believe. If you get rejected with a 700, I truly believe that 90% of the time it's because of some other aspect of your application that deterred the AdComs away. So should you retake? Well, I think if you can score 740+, you'll have an easier way to get into top b-schools. If not, I don't see a whole lot of difference between a 700 and a 720, and you always risk the chance of having your score drop.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 07:44
ur credentials are good..
but ur work ex is less.gmat is also ok
u better take some professional help from mba consultants..also i would suggest if time permits try to see if u can get better score

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 08:06
Hi,
@ Bakfed- I am in the R&D department of a product based MNC ,serving as an Associate Software engineer.I am also the president of the Nature Club of the company.
@Amar-I am surely thinking of getting some professional help with my application process,but do you really think that it might be a long shot for me to apply to these universities listed below?
@ Both- I am planning to apply to NewYork University (Stern), University of Texas,Austin(McCombs),Ross Business School,Carnegie Mellon (Tepper Business School) and may be HEC Paris and Kellogs.
I am really confused right now.Please help me out.
Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT.   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2010, 08:06