Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 13:53
Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum :) Hoping to help fellow aspirants and gain from the exp of other members out here!

A few pointers about my profile:

- GMAT 680/6.0 (50/31 - Q/V) - Indian Applicant

- 4 yrs work-ex by mid of 2011

- About workex

-- have been working in the same company for about 3 yrs now. Presently leading the Product Management Team in an EDA company (EDA companies make softwares for semiconductor companies)
-- international workex - two short stints of 1 month each - at company headquarters in the US and at a client site in China

-- twice recognised for exceptional work by the company

-- I am confident of getting good recos from my manager/ex-manager

- Educational - pretty decent - 91% in 10th - 81% in 12th - 81% in UG (Communication & Computers major) - 1 international internship for 1.5 months in Kazakhstan in steel industry

- have good extra currics - participation in debates/extempories/skits at school/college level; founder of a few clubs in college etc
- NGO exp - void :-|

I was hopeful of getting a good GMAT score(700+) which could have put me in an okay position to try for some top B schools (given I belong to the Indian IT applicant category). But given this score, I'm not very sure about my chances.

Post MBA - have an inclination towards Marketing, but would prefer a school where I can explore different options (specially if I opt for a 2 yr program).

I'm thinking of applying to these schools:
ISB India
NUS Singapore
Said (Oxford)
CMU, Duke, Kellogg (the list seems too long here :( but i'm not sure considering the score)

Please suggest to which other bschools can i apply in the US - as per stretch/reach/safe criteria - it'll be very helpful.

Any other comments on the profile? - All duly appreciated Sir! :)

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks a lot!

The Log...

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 12:21
1. Why not consider Ross?
2. If you are confident about bumping your score by another 30-40, then why dont you give it a shot?
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 03:56
nagarjuna13 wrote:
1. Why not consider Ross?
2. If you are confident about bumping your score by another 30-40, then why dont you give it a shot?

Hi nagarjuna12,

Thanks for the pointers.

Ross is another school which I had in my original list - but given my score (680), not sure about my chances. To repeat, I'll be put under Indian IT background, which typically boasts of an avg GMAT of 700+. Hence the apprehensions.

Actually, my work is related more to product management side of things and not typically the coding side of things.(i work in a product company). I have been at the interface of the development teams(R/D) and the client facing teams (sales) and hence have a sound knowledge of lots of things involved at the interface. My work also includes taking care of Quality Assurance and Release Engineering along with Documentation of a product, delivering releases for customers, follow up on bugs and patch releases and designing new flows for different products.
Having said so, we make software for semiconductors companies, hence I'll be categorized under IT :-|

I really wish to apply this season and hence time for GMAT is quite less. Also, won't want to write that again :)

Cheers!

The Log...

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 03:58
Hello Experts,

Can you please evaluate my profile? And also provide me a few pointers about the schools where I stand a chance or can be included in my list of schools to apply.

Thanks and Regards!
thelog

The Log...

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 680 - Help Appreciated!   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2010, 03:58