Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation help please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation help please [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 07:25
Hi all,

I am an Indian Male (aren't we all :( ). I will be 25yrs at Matriculation.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.1 in Computer Science and Engineering from a (what I find from reputed magazine rankings) top-15 Indian Engineering College

Work Experience (3 years at time of matriculation):
Current: Software Engineer at one of the biggest IT companies in the world (I worked from India)
-Started as a Quality Analyst and Automation engineer
-I have won quite a few awards and one of them is the 2nd highest technical award in my company, will also be getting top rating this year (probably in top5% - top 10%)
-Mentored interns in India and in Toronto in their projects
-Extensive work in a client facing role with a few important clients(probably one of the very few product debelopers my age)
-Was asked to work as a subject matter expert for my product in a huge Govt. Project (was asked over many experienced folks)

Extracurriculars
-------------------------------------
Undergrad:
Head of a committee each during the tech and cultural fest
Senior Executive of a club
Created a forum for helping classmates for placements which went on to be used by future batches

I don't know how this will look - I was a professional gamer (computer games), conducted contests and also organised training sessions for new gamers.

After graduation:
Member of a RTMC (a bike riding club)
Conduct bike trips and treks
Taken a course on Event Management. Volunteered and helped conduct events.
Free career counselling for children in my hometown

Do extra-curriculars in school count for a younger applicant?

International Exposure
--------------------------------------
Brought up in Dubai and work with colleague and customers all over the globe (pretty lame, I know!)

Expected GMAT
----------------------------------------
Haven't taken it yet but I scored 750 in a MGMAT test and 790 in a GMATPrep test, so hoping to score high

Career Goals
----------------------------------------
after MBA - change career into Strategy consulting
long term - specialize in the travel and hospitality services industry and move to General Mangement in that industry

Interested Schools
--------------------------------------
In a dilemma here,
Since I am only 24 (now), I feel like applying to only the top schools (or rather dream schools). But I do not wish to
wait another year now that I have decided to switch careers.

I am looking forward to a 2 year FT course. I preferred Europe because I will be able to travel Europe during those 2 years :)
But only LBS has a top-tier 2 year course where all the top MC firms come for recruiting.

Apart from LBS, I plan on applying to Wharton and Harvard.

I will only be applying round 2 and I believe I will be able to write memorable stories, with substance and impact, about my experiences, with a little guidance off-course.
As you can see the scale is pretty less - I haven't helped make a ton of money or helped save people in a crisis, but I believe I have been able influence change in many situations.

Are the schools I mentioned atleast reach/ambitious? Are there people like me studying in such schools? (I hear only stories about rock-stars and world savers, but there are 900+817+401 students each year, there should be atleast a few like me studying there :)

Thanks in advance!
srjaidev
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation help please [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:34
If you score 740 + on the GMAT, with decent essays and recommendations you should be competitive for all the top programs on your list. Its a competitive bunch out there so every little detail matters, remember that you'll be compared with other folks sharing a similar profile i.e. Indian, IT, Male. The only way to differentiate yourself is to tell your story, as well as you can. More importantly you need to come up with solid reasoning as to why the MBA is the logical step for you to move forward. Good luck with your applications !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation help please [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:45
Thank you very much, mirfan2
Re: Profile Evaluation help please   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2010, 09:45