Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation IT exp 3 Years

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation IT exp 3 Years [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 18:07
Acads:

BE Computers - 64%- Had to re-take some exams (Weak Point)
Executive management course -IIT Bombay (9 months part time)

Work Exp:
3 Yrs- Software Engineer- MNC F500 Client

Role-
Working as a application tester.

Extra Curricular:
PADI Certified Open Water Scuba Diver(internationally accepted)
Club Pilot Certification in Paragliding
Trekking as hobby (30+ Treks but dont have any certification)

GMAT Score:
550 (Q48,V19)

1.What can I do to make my profile stronger ? (take additional courses in local univ? etc…?)
2.How to justify my bad under grad?

Please provide your views.I have given GMAT 7 days back. I know 550 is not a good score. I will be giving GMAT again in August. I will be targeting atleast 640. (Want to be realistic). I will be planning 4 fall 2013 MBA batch.

If my experience is not much then can anyone suggest any other management course.If its MIS in US then can anyone explain what is use of MIS in India
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation IT exp 3 Years [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 00:18
suniel429 wrote:

BE Computers - 64%- Had to re-take some exams (Weak Point)
Executive management course -IIT Bombay (9 months part time)

Work Exp:
3 Yrs- Software Engineer- MNC F500 Client
Role-
Working as a application tester.

Extra Curricular:
PADI Certified Open Water Scuba Diver(internationally accepted)
Club Pilot Certification in Paragliding
Trekking as hobby (30+ Treks but dont have any certification)

GMAT Score:
550 (Q48,V19)

1.What can I do to make my profile stronger ? (take additional courses in local univ? etc…?)
2.How to justify my bad under grad?

Please provide your views.I have given GMAT 7 days back. I know 550 is not a good score. I will be giving GMAT again in August. I will be targeting atleast 640. (Want to be realistic). I will be planning 4 fall 2013 MBA batch.

If my experience is not much then can anyone suggest any other management course.If its MIS in US then can anyone explain what is use of MIS in India

Hi Suneil,

One way to make your profile stronger is by retaking the GMAT :). Good that you know this and are willing to retake. A higher GMAT score will open more b-school doors for you.

You have not written much about your work profile. In general, admissions team like to see career progression and sound career goals. Highlight any managerial responsibilities in your essays. In case you have not got this chance at work, talk about leadership experiences in your extra-curricular activities (which sound very interesting).

MBA v/s. MIS - you will need to take this call. An MBA is a generalist degree. It will give you an overall perspective on business and a chance to change your business function/ industry. MIS on the other hand is more specific to the IT industry. Decide your career goals and you will have some answer to this.

Hope this helps.

Namita, www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation IT exp 3 Years [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 04:34
Hi Suneil,
A lot of your chances into business school depend on which business school you want to attend. You haven't mentioned that in your post, and as you already know, there's a huge amount of variance from school to school. A higher GMAT will definitely help your chances. My only warning is to not take the GMAT too many times. If you can show a progression of scores, and your next one is higher than the first, then it's good. But if you slide backward and your scores start to fall, then it makes it seem like your one good score was just luck.

The MIS vs. MBA is a big difference. An MBA will train you to be a manager and administrator. You will manage other people and administer over a business unit (eventually). An MIS degree will position you to do this specifically in an IT capacity, or it might even provide skills to be a high level individual contributor. These are very different outcomes.

While it sounds like a lot of work, if you're REALLY conflicted, you could even apply to both types of programs to give yourself some options.

Hope this is helpful,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: Profile Evaluation IT exp 3 Years   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 04:34