Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 12:09
Hello,

I am looking to apply in round 2 and was hoping you could review my profile.

My stats:
25 at matriculation with 32 months of full time WE (government mgmt consulting) - just switched companies over the summer for a promotion/more responsibilities

700 GMAT (95% V, 67% Q) - low quant, but since I did well in calculus, statistics, and finances courses, perhaps they may give me a break

3.3 cumulative GPA (Econ major) from private Top 20 (I think my final 2 years was around 3.2ish). Transfered from a state university with a 4.0 my freshman year, but I'm not sure if adcoms will take that into consideration.

Didn't get involved with anything during my undergrad unfortunately, but I picked up the slack post-graduation by volunteering to do some college career counseling, volunteering at the Make A Wish Foundation, and I hold a couple of chair positions on my local alumni board

I have good reviews from my employers will be able to get solid recs from them as well, although it might be hard to swing a rec from my current manager since I just started.

I would like to get into i-banking (energy industry) post-MBA in order to gain some transactional/valuation experience before getting a team together and take over a company. I figure I could use the i-banking experience to add value to a small/medium-sized company that is looking to expand via acquisitions.

A little bit more about myself...I've lived on three different continents and worked for a summer in Abu Dhabi for a PE firm. Will being "cultured" (for lack of a better word) help potentially?

My list of possible schools includes the following:

Yale
NYU
Columbia
Ross
Darden
Chicago

Since I'm going to be a career changer, will the schools on my list be accommodating or will some look down on this? Do you think I have a shot at all this year or will I need to wait? Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 10:40
Forgot to mention that I'm now seriously considering taking the GMAT again for the 3rd time in order to boost my quant score. However, I run the risk of doing worse overall and screwing myself over permanently, since taking it 3 times seems to be the max...

I was a B/B+ student when it came to courses like Calculus, Stats, Finance, and Accounting. My major GPA was also not very good, mainly because 1) I transfered and was unable to take two full semesters of calculus to properly prepare for a grueling, multi-variable calc-heavy economics major, 2) Econ had the 2nd lowest average GPA in the entire school, next to Math.

Will any of this matter or am I pretty much doomed? Thanks.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 12:27
Expert's post
EChopeful12 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to apply in round 2 and was hoping you could review my profile.

My stats:
25 at matriculation with 32 months of full time WE (government mgmt consulting) - just switched companies over the summer for a promotion/more responsibilities

700 GMAT (95% V, 67% Q) - low quant, but since I did well in calculus, statistics, and finances courses, perhaps they may give me a break

3.3 cumulative GPA (Econ major) from private Top 20 (I think my final 2 years was around 3.2ish). Transfered from a state university with a 4.0 my freshman year, but I'm not sure if adcoms will take that into consideration.

Didn't get involved with anything during my undergrad unfortunately, but I picked up the slack post-graduation by volunteering to do some college career counseling, volunteering at the Make A Wish Foundation, and I hold a couple of chair positions on my local alumni board

I have good reviews from my employers will be able to get solid recs from them as well, although it might be hard to swing a rec from my current manager since I just started.

I would like to get into i-banking (energy industry) post-MBA in order to gain some transactional/valuation experience before getting a team together and take over a company. I figure I could use the i-banking experience to add value to a small/medium-sized company that is looking to expand via acquisitions.

A little bit more about myself...I've lived on three different continents and worked for a summer in Abu Dhabi for a PE firm. Will being "cultured" (for lack of a better word) help potentially?

My list of possible schools includes the following:

Yale
NYU
Columbia
Ross
Darden
Chicago

Since I'm going to be a career changer, will the schools on my list be accommodating or will some look down on this? Do you think I have a shot at all this year or will I need to wait? Thanks

You need to score over the 75th or 80th percentile in the Quant section of the GMAT for these programs, so go ahead and retake it. Yes, schools say that taking the GMAT more than 3 times starts to raise eyebrows, but the fact of the matter is that they will not consider you if you don't meet the minimum score, so you have no choice but to retake it until you do.
Yes, your Abu Dhabi experience will be interesting and will likely differentiate your application; so will your government management consulting role if you have been able to have some influence in it.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog