Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation, please. [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 05:32
Hi, everybody! Here's my profile and plans. Any insights on it would be very much appreciated!

General info

Male, Brazilian, 25 year-old (will be 26 in 2 weeks though) and I am planning to apply (7 schools) in 2013.

Education

1) Undergrad. major (2008): International Affairs (college is not one of the best in the country);
2) Grad. major (2009): Business Management (respected institution in the country) - Maximum grade on my Final Paper: "New management models for the 21st century: Globalization and the Creative Destruction": 100 out of 100;
3) Grad. major (2013): Brazilian MBA programe focused on Marketing (respected institution in the country).

Work experience

2.5 years on government (Ports Infrastructure, Inland & Maritime Transportation National Agency) as an Advisor for International Affairs. I will quit my current job as an Advisor in March, 2012, and will start on a new job in a respected newspaper in Brazil by April, 2012 (Marketing / Social media role). So, by the time I apply to B-Schools I will most likely have 2.5 years work exp. on government and 1.5 year (2.5 upon matriculation) on the mentioned newspaper as a marketer.

GMAT and TOEFL plans

I will start studying for GMAT on January, 2012. Since I am not good at math, I am aware that I will be needing to study a lot in order to beat the GMAT (aiming for a 700). As for TOEFL, I will taking the exam right after the GMAT (shouldn't be a problem).

GPA

By 2013, I will have completed 1 undergrad. and 2 grad. majors. Therefore, what GPA would matter most? The most recent grad. major one I am guessing?

Other information that may be relevant

Study-abroad programe in Sydney, Australia, for 6 months to improve English skills and get to know and understand other cultures (2005);
Teacher's Assistant on "Political Theory" (undergrad. course);
Languages spoken: Portuguese, Spanish, English and a bit of French;
Volunteer at a local community school for little children in need.

Target Schools

Since I will be applying for 7 B-Schools and I want to focus on Marketing, my main school would be Kellogg. The others I still haven't decided yet. Based on the profile, what do you guys think? Any tips?

Post-MBA Goals

Since I am passionate for social media and tech, my goal is to work as a Global Marketing Manager on a Tech Company [Google and Facebook, especially].

-----------------

I guess that's about it. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

Pedro.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation, please. [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 16:14
Expert's post
pedroca wrote:
Hi, everybody! Here's my profile and plans. Any insights on it would be very much appreciated!

General info

Male, Brazilian, 25 year-old (will be 26 in 2 weeks though) and I am planning to apply (7 schools) in 2013.

Education

1) Undergrad. major (2008): International Affairs (college is not one of the best in the country);
2) Grad. major (2009): Business Management (respected institution in the country) - Maximum grade on my Final Paper: "New management models for the 21st century: Globalization and the Creative Destruction": 100 out of 100;
3) Grad. major (2013): Brazilian MBA programe focused on Marketing (respected institution in the country).

Work experience

2.5 years on government (Ports Infrastructure, Inland & Maritime Transportation National Agency) as an Advisor for International Affairs. I will quit my current job as an Advisor in March, 2012, and will start on a new job in a respected newspaper in Brazil by April, 2012 (Marketing / Social media role). So, by the time I apply to B-Schools I will most likely have 2.5 years work exp. on government and 1.5 year (2.5 upon matriculation) on the mentioned newspaper as a marketer.

GMAT and TOEFL plans

I will start studying for GMAT on January, 2012. Since I am not good at math, I am aware that I will be needing to study a lot in order to beat the GMAT (aiming for a 700). As for TOEFL, I will taking the exam right after the GMAT (shouldn't be a problem).

GPA

By 2013, I will have completed 1 undergrad. and 2 grad. majors. Therefore, what GPA would matter most? The most recent grad. major one I am guessing?

Other information that may be relevant

Study-abroad programe in Sydney, Australia, for 6 months to improve English skills and get to know and understand other cultures (2005);
Teacher's Assistant on "Political Theory" (undergrad. course);
Languages spoken: Portuguese, Spanish, English and a bit of French;
Volunteer at a local community school for little children in need.

Target Schools

Since I will be applying for 7 B-Schools and I want to focus on Marketing, my main school would be Kellogg. The others I still haven't decided yet. Based on the profile, what do you guys think? Any tips?

Post-MBA Goals

Since I am passionate for social media and tech, my goal is to work as a Global Marketing Manager on a Tech Company [Google and Facebook, especially].

-----------------

I guess that's about it. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

Pedro.

Hi, Pedro. It sounds like a lot is going to depend on what you're able to achieve in the newspaper marketing role. The GPA is usually averaged from among all of your programs, but the most recent one does have a sort of deciding factor flavor to it: if it's good, it can overcome a poor previous academic performance; if it's bad, it will cast a pall over your entire application because it could indicate that you don't take academics seriously anymore.
It's hard for me to tell you what programs to consider based on this summary because I don't know your GPA or GMAT and I don't see any impact from your marketing work yet. Here are some programs besides Kellogg that have strong marketing departments and recruiting: UCLA, Duke, NYU, Michigan Ross, Carnegie Mellon, UNC, Emory, Notre Dame, and UT Austin.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog