Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 21:05
Hi,

My brief intro

Nationality: Indian

Xth-81%
XII-83%

Bcom hons(Calcutta University)-58%

Work ex- 5 years at the time of matriculation (2 years family business, was responsible for adding and marketing various new products in the product line offered. Traveled extensively across India and established an excellent network for these product. After that 2 year as Prop Derivative trader trading STIR markets and Fixed income markets, & FX options. Currently working as a Calypso consultant responsible for front office calypso implementation, requires onsite work across south east asia. )

CFA level 3 candidate, FRM cleared. Also cleared the first 3 levels of MS finance course from ICFAI university.
Extra Curri- Descent(Rowing,Tennis. Involved with an NGO which works for upliftment of Underprivileged children.) Faculty member in an institute which imparts training for CFA & FRM.

I plan to apply for class of 2013-15. Plan to give GMAT and targeting a score of around 720+.
Post MBA I want to continue working in Financials services Industry or Consultancy. As a part of a trading desk or into Research. My long term career goal is to be a part of the hedge fund industry. Can you guys please throw some light on my profile and suggest whether its suitable for the following B schools:

1)Chicago Booth
2)NYU Stern
3)UCLA Anderson
4)University of California at Berkeley: Haas
5)Michigan Ross
6)Cornell

Please throw some light on whether my profile is competitive for the selected Bschools, and what are the areas which needs to be improved.

Regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 10:46
Expert's post
Hi lapras,

You have a strong application, and your numbers are aligned with the programs you are looking at. Two things come to mind when looking at your application. First, MBA programs are looking to cultivate future leaders, so any leadership experience you can highlight is important. I did not see this in the summary you had written.

Second, you are in a competitive pool, so it is important to consider ways to differentiate your application. Here is how one candidate did this and was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT: http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 00:40
Hi,
My brief intro
Nationality: Indian
B. Tech (Mechanical Engg.)(NIT Jalandhar, Punjab)-70.84%
Work-Ex: Over 10 years of experience including initial over 3 years in teaching as Lecturer (at Engineering Graduate level) & later in Project Sales, Business Development & Customer Relationship Management at Branch & Regional Level in Public Sector Undertaking (RINL-15000Cr. turnover company under govt. of India). Responsible for developing key clients.
Notable Accomplishments
During Tenure at Regional office (W), Mumbai (Sept’2005-Apr’2010)
• Efficiently finalized District Level Dealers (a sales scheme) at 13 districts in vidarbha region in Maharashtra by travelling to various remote places as a regional representative in 07-08.
• Played a stellar role in increasing the
 sales of District Level Dealers in 2007-08 by 528% as compared to previous year
 Again Lifting of DLDs rose by 182% in 08-09 as compared to previous year.
• Managed the E-auction (another mode of sales) for entire region in 08-09 and sales rose by 186% as compared to previous year.
• Negotiated the rates with various hotels and saved company’s administrative cost.
• Received awards for suggestion in two consecutive years.
• Developed key clients like L&T, HCC, NTPC, BHEL, ETC.
• Pivotal in organizing various customers meet at regular interval with CMD, Directors etc. of the company at various five star hotels.
During Tenure at Branch Sales office (Delhi), Delhi (May’2010-till Date)
• Revived the customer base lost due to closure of stockyard at Delhi in 2006. Approx. 1000 MT of materials have been sold in project segment fulfilling more than 200% of the target and ensuring highest ever sales in Projects after closure of stockyard at Delhi in 2010-11.
• In FY:11-12 a total of 4749 MT of materials have been sold in project segment which is 186% of the cumulative sales made in project sales in last Five years since the closure of stockyard at Delhi, achieving 125% of the target set for FY: 11-12 & registering a YoY growth of 377%.
• 20% YoY growth in NSR (Net Sales Realization) in project sales segment during FY: 11-12, maintaining always higher NSR in every month of FY: 11-12 as compared to other segments in the same product category.
• In Two years (10-11 & 11-12) customer base has been increased more than three fold in project segment as compared to 08-09.

Other Qualifications:
Post Graduate Diploma in Retail Management from ICFAI
Completed IST semester in Diploma in French Language from Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (JLN Academy of
Languages), Delhi.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENTS
•7 days training program in NITIE (National Institute of Industrial Engineering) on Marketing Strategy in competitive Environment in FY: 06-07n on the theme: Value based Management for organizational excellence at NIMS (Nirma Institute of Management & S •Participated in 39th ISTD National conventio tudies), Ahmedabad organized for 5 Days in FY: 08-09
•Participated in 3 days workshop on: “Strategic Functional Decision Making and Business Impact” organized by IMT (Institute of Management & Technology), Ghaziabad in FY:11-12
Other Distinction

• As a chairman of ISTE (Indian Society for Technical Education) student’s chapter REC Jalandhar organized its 3rd national annual convention and got the Best student of The Year award for year 2000 from ISTE.
• Recipient of merit scholarship from Graduation College (REC Jalandhar).
• GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering) IN 2002: Score 97.26.
• GMAT SCORE: 600 (appeared in 2008).

Extra Curri- Reading books, listening music, cooking.
I plan to apply for class of 2013-14 (preferring one year program). Plan to give GMAT and targeting a score of around 700+.
Post MBA I want to join Consultancy or continue in Marketing. Can you guys please throw some light on my profile and suggest whether its suitable for the following B schools:

1)LSB
2)INSEAD
3)IMD
4)HEC
5)ENPC
6)ISB
7) NUS
8) HENLE MGMT. COLLEGE
9)WARWIK
10) CASS BUSINESS SCHOOL
11)SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD

Please throw some light on whether my profile is competitive for the selected Bschools, and what are the areas which needs to be improved.

Regards
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 09:43
Expert's post
Hi lapras,

Two factors admissions teams will strongly look at are your work experience and leadership experience. It looks like you have changed careers several times, and you should be prepared to address this in your application.

I also recommend you read this case study of a candidate from a family business. It should provide insight into ways you can approach your application: http://www.stacyblackman.com/2012/06/21 ... k-for-you/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap