Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 03:31
I would appreciate if you can evaluate my profile and let me know if (a) i'm too old for the business schools am targeting (b) my chances in the target schools

Basic demographic info:
33, Male, Indian

Educational Background:
Undergrad major: Biotechnology, GPA 8.2/10
Ph.D. in Biotechnology from an US university. Ph.D. work resulted in one patent
Planning to take the GMAT in April/May

Work experience:
(all companies in US)
1. Post-doctoral research associate for 3 years. Postdoctoral research work resulted in one patent and was hired by a start up company to translate the research into a commercial product. Co-Principal investigator in a $500,000 grant awarded by National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering.
2. Worked in that start up for 2 years as a Research Engineer. Generated two more patents and one of them made 12% revenue for the company in FY'12. Co-Principal investigator in a $500,000 for another research grant awarded by the same institute.
3. Just got hired as Senior Engineer in another start up. Hired to translate research into commercial products. Leading a team of 3 and will also be responsible for fund raising in 6 months.

Extracurriculars:
Kung fu from 2005-2009. Treasurer and Co-ordinator of the Kung Fu club.
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer from 2006-2007, 2012-present
Collegiate level NCC (Similar to ROTC in the US, but since college did not pay my tuition I did not have to join the armed forces)

Why MBA?
I either want to be the CTO in a biotechnology firm or I want to start my company. Going to business school will help me understand how business decisions impact technology and vice-versa. I understand my field really well and having worked in start ups I know some financial modeling but I don't know enough corporate finance and I don't understand global markets well.

Schools I want to target
I want to return to India. So I'm looking at IIM A, IIM B and ISB. Having said that I'm also going to apply to Harvard Business School, Kellogg and Wharton. All these schools have a Healthcare module in their business schools and I think I can learn more about the business decisions in my field from these 3 schools.

I will be applying to start school in Fall 2014. I'll be 34 by then. Given my career path, aspirations and age 'am I pursuing a realistic dream?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 06:46
You have a distinguished background and if properly presented, most of the schools you have targeted will read your application with interest.

I would advise you that a few of the schools you have targeted have a bit of age bias so you should be aware of this. However, 34 is not too old to pursue a full-time program (although it is on the upper limit).

You are totally pursuing a realistic dream and with the help of an MBA degree, your timetable to achieving this goal will be accelerated.

I recommend that you start preparing and get your application in for R1 at all your targeted schools.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 6

Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 05:41
Hi,

Rightly said. You have a diverse profile and have fair chances of being admitted, if you position well and focus on your application essays. I would suggest you to start the process for ISB in R-1 for 2014 intake as soon as the applications are open. You can also try your chances in other b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Most importantly, while working on your application essays you need to focus and prepare well for interviews, which are as important as essays. To know more about interview preparations & tips, visit http://bit.ly/XQVp4s

Feel free to post any other concern you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha

MBA2015or2016 wrote:
I would appreciate if you can evaluate my profile and let me know if (a) i'm too old for the business schools am targeting (b) my chances in the target schools

Basic demographic info:
33, Male, Indian

Educational Background:
Undergrad major: Biotechnology, GPA 8.2/10
Ph.D. in Biotechnology from an US university. Ph.D. work resulted in one patent
Planning to take the GMAT in April/May

Work experience:
(all companies in US)
1. Post-doctoral research associate for 3 years. Postdoctoral research work resulted in one patent and was hired by a start up company to translate the research into a commercial product. Co-Principal investigator in a $500,000 grant awarded by National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering.
2. Worked in that start up for 2 years as a Research Engineer. Generated two more patents and one of them made 12% revenue for the company in FY'12. Co-Principal investigator in a $500,000 for another research grant awarded by the same institute.
3. Just got hired as Senior Engineer in another start up. Hired to translate research into commercial products. Leading a team of 3 and will also be responsible for fund raising in 6 months.

Extracurriculars:
Kung fu from 2005-2009. Treasurer and Co-ordinator of the Kung Fu club.
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer from 2006-2007, 2012-present
Collegiate level NCC (Similar to ROTC in the US, but since college did not pay my tuition I did not have to join the armed forces)

Why MBA?
I either want to be the CTO in a biotechnology firm or I want to start my company. Going to business school will help me understand how business decisions impact technology and vice-versa. I understand my field really well and having worked in start ups I know some financial modeling but I don't know enough corporate finance and I don't understand global markets well.

Schools I want to target
I want to return to India. So I'm looking at IIM A, IIM B and ISB. Having said that I'm also going to apply to Harvard Business School, Kellogg and Wharton. All these schools have a Healthcare module in their business schools and I think I can learn more about the business decisions in my field from these 3 schools.

I will be applying to start school in Fall 2014. I'll be 34 by then. Given my career path, aspirations and age 'am I pursuing a realistic dream?

Thanks

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: profile evaluation please   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2013, 05:41