Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2006, 23:35
Hey Paul / Linda,

I would appreciate your insight and feedback on my choice of schools.

My Background :-

1. Undergraduate :- Georgia Tech (Atlanta) GPA - 2.79 / 4.00 ( Most semesters above 3.00 but due to just 3 semesters my GPA nosedived ! )

Was active in many on campus organizations

Founder and President of Georgia tech Cricket Club

President of India Club

Community Advisor for Student residence hall association

Student Alumni Board of trustees

Presidents Council

Academic Awards -

National Society of Collegiate Scholars / Georgia tech deans list 4 quarters and 2 semsters ) / PHI ETA SIGMA Freshman honor Soceity

Did a study abroad in Europe for 3 months at Georgia Tech Lorraine ( France ) GPA = 3.5 / 4.00

2. Work experience

a] Motorola INC , Atlanta

1 year co-op position in the R&D dept. Got highest performance reviews among my peers.

b] Nokia India - 2 years and 6 months will be more than 3 by the time I goto B-school
Again in R&D supporting Nokia R&D in Asia. Have lead numerous international projects in Vietnam, Venezuela, Mauritius, Australia and Thailand.

• Interacted with System Integration, Marketing, Product Acceptance teams and developers to resolve errors and report results for Vietnam product testing. Was awarded a special recognition for my efforts on behalf of Nokia and the Customer
• Successfully conducted field-testing project for first ever Nokia CDMA products in Mauritius. Interacted and guided a team of 10 engineers from China. Interacted with local customers to achieve all testing targets. Achieved annual 100K sales targets and increase market share in the CDMA segment.
• Responsible for Nokia product testing project in Venezuela. Successful in getting two products approved and ready for sale before Christmas 2005 sales. Helped Nokia maintain market leadership. Sales scaled up from previously 100K to 300K / month due to new handset models. Nokia maintained its 60% market share in tough times.
• Designed and executed test cases to ensure the products compliance to CDMA standards and customer specifications in India and Thailand. Conducted performance benchmarking to competitor phones. India sales increased from a meager 50K/month to 200K/month due to the 5 new products introduced in a timely fashion.

Have a had solid international exposure and also since I have been in R&D sound analytical and quantitative skills.

Have had 3 promotions in this short span and am also one of the chief mentors for new hires. Have received 2 extra-mile awards too.

Besides this I have actively pursued proffesional development courses outside of work. I have completed "corporate strategy", product life cycle "mgmt from IIT Bombay and "Project Management" from IIM Ahmedabad.

GMAT - 720 ( V=40 Q=49 )

I am very keen to pursue an MBA and transition to business development and strategy consulting and focus on a gloabl career.

Do you think that which such a background do I have a realistic chance of getting into

1. Stanford
2. Harvard
3. Kellogg
4. Columbia
5. MIT
6. TUCK

WHich schools would you suggest to me as "safety schools".

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks and Best regards,
Chirag
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 09:45
chiraggrad wrote:
Hey Paul / Linda,

I would appreciate your insight and feedback on my choice of schools.

My Background :-

1. Undergraduate :- Georgia Tech (Atlanta) GPA - 2.79 / 4.00 ( Most semesters above 3.00 but due to just 3 semesters my GPA nosedived ! )

Was active in many on campus organizations

Founder and President of Georgia tech Cricket Club

President of India Club

Community Advisor for Student residence hall association

Student Alumni Board of trustees

Presidents Council

Academic Awards -

National Society of Collegiate Scholars / Georgia tech deans list 4 quarters and 2 semsters ) / PHI ETA SIGMA Freshman honor Soceity

Did a study abroad in Europe for 3 months at Georgia Tech Lorraine ( France ) GPA = 3.5 / 4.00

2. Work experience

a] Motorola INC , Atlanta

1 year co-op position in the R&D dept. Got highest performance reviews among my peers.

b] Nokia India - 2 years and 6 months will be more than 3 by the time I goto B-school
Again in R&D supporting Nokia R&D in Asia. Have lead numerous international projects in Vietnam, Venezuela, Mauritius, Australia and Thailand.

• Interacted with System Integration, Marketing, Product Acceptance teams and developers to resolve errors and report results for Vietnam product testing. Was awarded a special recognition for my efforts on behalf of Nokia and the Customer
• Successfully conducted field-testing project for first ever Nokia CDMA products in Mauritius. Interacted and guided a team of 10 engineers from China. Interacted with local customers to achieve all testing targets. Achieved annual 100K sales targets and increase market share in the CDMA segment.
• Responsible for Nokia product testing project in Venezuela. Successful in getting two products approved and ready for sale before Christmas 2005 sales. Helped Nokia maintain market leadership. Sales scaled up from previously 100K to 300K / month due to new handset models. Nokia maintained its 60% market share in tough times.
• Designed and executed test cases to ensure the products compliance to CDMA standards and customer specifications in India and Thailand. Conducted performance benchmarking to competitor phones. India sales increased from a meager 50K/month to 200K/month due to the 5 new products introduced in a timely fashion.

Have a had solid international exposure and also since I have been in R&D sound analytical and quantitative skills.

Have had 3 promotions in this short span and am also one of the chief mentors for new hires. Have received 2 extra-mile awards too.

Besides this I have actively pursued proffesional development courses outside of work. I have completed "corporate strategy", product life cycle "mgmt from IIT Bombay and "Project Management" from IIM Ahmedabad.

GMAT - 720 ( V=40 Q=49 )

I am very keen to pursue an MBA and transition to business development and strategy consulting and focus on a gloabl career.

Do you think that which such a background do I have a realistic chance of getting into

1. Stanford
2. Harvard
3. Kellogg
4. Columbia
5. MIT
6. TUCK

WHich schools would you suggest to me as "safety schools".

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks and Best regards,
Chirag

Chirag,

You have done some impressive things at Nokia India and all your interesting overseas work experience adds some real flavor to your profile. Given your undergrad GPA, the informal (I'm assuming) nature of your leadership (i.e., no direct reports), and the lack of unusualness of your background (Indian male technologist) I would say Stanford and HBS would be very difficult. Your apparent lack of recent community leadership may also be fatal at Kellogg and to some extent at Wharton and Tuck. MIT might be your best shot. Given your goals, consider Haas, INSEAD, UNC, CMU, Chicago, Yale, Michigan. You seem to be aiming just a bit high....

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 23:46
Thanks Paul,

I would like to mention that presently i am involved with two local organizations, helping the underpriviledged

1. Dasa Shreemani Nath : I hold regular SAT preparation classes and also help students applying for engineering programs to USA, since I have been a student there.

2. Divine Life Soceity : I have been helping them organze YOGA and meditation camps, was also involved during releif work for the recent Mumbai Monsoon floods. Also was responsible to arrange a blood collection and free POLIO clinics in the underpriviledged and poorer suburbs of Mumbai

Do you think with these activites I might have a better chance at

Kellogg and TUCK.

Also could you comment what are your views for Columbia as a general management school ( focus ---> Consulting ) compared to TUCK and MIT

Thanks and Best regards,
Chirag
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 13:34
chiraggrad wrote:
Thanks Paul,

I would like to mention that presently i am involved with two local organizations, helping the underpriviledged

1. Dasa Shreemani Nath : I hold regular SAT preparation classes and also help students applying for engineering programs to USA, since I have been a student there.

2. Divine Life Soceity : I have been helping them organze YOGA and meditation camps, was also involved during releif work for the recent Mumbai Monsoon floods. Also was responsible to arrange a blood collection and free POLIO clinics in the underpriviledged and poorer suburbs of Mumbai

Do you think with these activites I might have a better chance at

Kellogg and TUCK.

Also could you comment what are your views for Columbia as a general management school ( focus ---> Consulting ) compared to TUCK and MIT

Thanks and Best regards,
Chirag

Chirag,

Yes, those activities help you for Kellogg and Tuck. On the other hand, they appear to be kinds of community activities that these schools see a fair amount of -- impressive but not "breakout" or exceptional community involvements.

As for general management --> consuting, in terms of graduating MBAs who go into consulting, Tuck wins with 32%, followed by MIT at 25 or 28% (depending on your source), and Columbia at 21 or 23%. In terms of number of graduates snatched up by top-name consultancies, MIT wins (McKinsey: 24, Bain: 9, BCG: 9) followed by CBS (McKinsey: 29) and Tuck (BSG: 10, McKinsey: 10, Bain: 6). As one further complicating variable, it's arguable that Columbia's consulting grads have higher average salaries than the other two schools.

So, bottom line, Columbia is thoroughly competitive with MIT and Tuck as a consulting feeder school.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 02:58
Thanks Paul, your feedback is appreciated.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 08:26
chiraggrad wrote:
Thanks Paul, your feedback is appreciated.

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /