Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2006, 12:22
Paul,

Could you please give me insight on (a) my chances of acceptance at Harvard, Kellogg, and Stanford and (b) how to best optimize chances of acceptance.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Background:
760 GMAT (50 Q, 43 V), 3.5 GPA from University of Richmond with major in Honors Econ & minor in History
Currently work for market research company as a contractor for largest US savory snack company, supporting two marketing brand teams (very close to brand teams, they tried to find a loop hole to hire me without an mba but unsuccessful -- supportive in helping me get MBA now). Have worked for both qual and quant research companies with clients from many of the major CPG companies, some financial cos, and some advertising firms.
Father started a liquor company 2 years ago that I have been instrumental in launching, esp from marketing stand point. Helped analyze which brands to launch, POS, launched two states, handled many PR events. Currently in charge of e-marketing in addition to other roles. Brands launched extremely successful, one of most successful launches of recent years

I grew up mostly in Europe; parents worked for GE, IBM, Kraft, PepsiCo, etc. abroad and I lived in W. Europe for 10 years, have lived in every census division in the US, moved 15 times to date.

Goals: Marketing career among the best minds and firms. Would like to try marketing consulting for an internship to decide whether would like to go that route or the brand manager route. Within next 5-7 years will probably have executive role at family company.

I really want to get my MBA to learn a ton and be challenged. For me, that is the bottom line.

My community involvement is a smattering of different things rather than a large role -- partially due to the hours I work and then helping launch a company. I've assisted with events for my city's orchestra leagues, DiFFA, etc. I've also taken pottery classes at night and volunteered in big sister type stuff, but not consistently.

My number one choice is Harvard, with Stanford and Kellogg closely tied for second. Could you please advise on my chances, and how to best secure a spot at a great school!!

Thanks so much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2006, 14:41
amartin6165 wrote:
Paul,

Could you please give me insight on (a) my chances of acceptance at Harvard, Kellogg, and Stanford and (b) how to best optimize chances of acceptance.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Background:
760 GMAT (50 Q, 43 V), 3.5 GPA from University of Richmond with major in Honors Econ & minor in History
Currently work for market research company as a contractor for largest US savory snack company, supporting two marketing brand teams (very close to brand teams, they tried to find a loop hole to hire me without an mba but unsuccessful -- supportive in helping me get MBA now). Have worked for both qual and quant research companies with clients from many of the major CPG companies, some financial cos, and some advertising firms.
Father started a liquor company 2 years ago that I have been instrumental in launching, esp from marketing stand point. Helped analyze which brands to launch, POS, launched two states, handled many PR events. Currently in charge of e-marketing in addition to other roles. Brands launched extremely successful, one of most successful launches of recent years

I grew up mostly in Europe; parents worked for GE, IBM, Kraft, PepsiCo, etc. abroad and I lived in W. Europe for 10 years, have lived in every census division in the US, moved 15 times to date.

Goals: Marketing career among the best minds and firms. Would like to try marketing consulting for an internship to decide whether would like to go that route or the brand manager route. Within next 5-7 years will probably have executive role at family company.

I really want to get my MBA to learn a ton and be challenged. For me, that is the bottom line.

My community involvement is a smattering of different things rather than a large role -- partially due to the hours I work and then helping launch a company. I've assisted with events for my city's orchestra leagues, DiFFA, etc. I've also taken pottery classes at night and volunteered in big sister type stuff, but not consistently.

My number one choice is Harvard, with Stanford and Kellogg closely tied for second. Could you please advise on my chances, and how to best secure a spot at a great school!!

Thanks so much!

amartin6165,

Hmm, I think you might have a shot. You have several "uniqueness factors," solid professional profile, good numbers. Kellogg would seem like the stronger #1 choice, but at least it's on your list. My only concern is the community side; not quite the same caliber as the rest. It's too late to rectify this in substantive ways for this year (not sure of your age, but if you get dinged this year you could try again next year with a beefed-up community record). So just emphasize the community activities that you do have as much as possible, play up the family role and Euro childhood since they're interesting, show them where the "social impact" part of your future vision lies (especially for Stanford), and just generally come across as bright and personable. The odds at HBS and Stanford are brutal for everyone, but I would not discourage you from applying to either. I think your odds at Kellogg are strongest, even with the community "weakness."

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 20:37
Thank you Paul! Great advice and I really appreciate the time you took to review my snapshot of a profile. Your resources (accepted.com, BW MBA Insider, publications) have been invaluable for getting my mind around the last leg of applications. I highly recommend your work to all applicants & others who are curious.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2006, 23:15
amartin6165 wrote:
Thank you Paul! Great advice and I really appreciate the time you took to review my snapshot of a profile. Your resources (accepted.com, BW MBA Insider, publications) have been invaluable for getting my mind around the last leg of applications. I highly recommend your work to all applicants & others who are curious.

Thanks, glad I could help.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter