Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, pretty please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation, pretty please [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 09:04
I'd appreciate some thoughts on my background and whether I would be competitive.

Academics:
3.43 GPA
Liberal Arts Background
For undergrad, went to a top-40 public school (UC San Diego) for 2 years, then transferred to a top-18 private school (Notre Dame). Graduated from latter school
GMAT: 720 (but below 80% percentile for the quant)
Took an accounting course at a local community college. Received an "A"

Professional Experience:
-1 Year as a business development professional for a relatively large, institutional investment manager (the equity investment arm of a publicly-traded European financial conglomerate).
-Suspended my professional career for 6 months due to family emergency: running and managing a restaurant that was going under. Managed the restaurant and successfully sold it (for a profit) to avert total loss.
-3 Years as a Technology Investment Banker for a small boutique firm in Silicon Valley. Even though I will be typecasted as a "I-banker," my role was really a hybrid of science engineering, i-banking, and consulting. Received incredible M&A deal experience (particularly cross-border international experience, heavy in European regions), helping small technology companies get acquired by large technology conglomerates such as Cisco, Google, IBM, Qualcomm, etc. Interfaced with many Venture Capital firms and incredible engineering CEOs/talent in Silicon Valley. Highlights include having successfully sold companies to Apple, Sony, etc. for a premium and raising $10-30 million for small technology companies to help them with their growth plans. During my tenure, the firm had unprecedented revenue growth and has expanded

Extracurriculars:
-In college, served as Editor-in-Chief for the college's official student magazine (oldest continously published magazine in the U.S.)
-In college, Served as a Resident Assistant of a dorm of 270 students
-In college, was one of 17 seniors (out of 2,000+) selected to design a new class for the university, led by the Business School Dean and the No. 3 authority at the University
-Started a relatively successful entrepreneurial business that sold products to Korea (and operations in the U.S.)
-Helped a startup's CEO copyedit his autobiography and draft the provisional patents for products
-Actively mentor Stanford undergrads, and help them craft their resumes for job recruiting
-Actively involved in a national organization (Korean-American Scientists & Engineers), participating and giving presentations on trends in technology and advancing Korean-Americans in society
-Started a successful web property as a resource for Korean-Americans in job recruiting and life skills

Why I want to pursue MBA:
I have built substantial experience in finance, technology, and consulting from my 3 years with the boutique firm. Love working with small companies/entrepreneurs and have good experience from working M&A deals from beginning to end, selling to large well-known technology companies and raising money from well-known Venture Capital firms (Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, etc.). My passion is helping entrepreneurs grow their business. I've seen this from the sell-side perspective, but now I aggressively want to pursue this from the Venture Capital perspective.

I want to leverage my professional experience with my personal knowledge of Korea. I've helped Koreans in the past with crafting their voice (through resumes and essays), now I want to do so in building their woeful venture capital resources. I want to use the skills and the network built from the MBA to tackle the obstacles preventing an otherwise brilliantly technical country flourish more by encouraging a culture for startups and building new credible pipelines for investment to fund them.

I'll be 29 yrs. old when applying (30 when I matriculate), and I am Asian-American.

I know it's a stretch, but I'd like to apply to top 8 schools.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Profile Evaluation, pretty please [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 11:56
I don't sense any stretch here. You ought to be a high profile candidate anywhere really with your work experience. Love the extra stories in here, especially the restaurant one. HBS, Stanford, Sloan, Haas should all perk up a bit I think.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Evaluation, pretty please   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2012, 11:56