Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 14:31
I am mostly interested in one school: The Freeman School at Tulane. Would like to know how my profile stacks up. I think I am qualified for acceptance, but wondering if anyone knows what my scholarship/fellowship chances would be... Thanks!

26 year old white male
Undergraduate Degree: Vanderbilt University, 3.3 GPA, scholarship, B.S., cum laude
GMAT: 710
Q: 46, V: 41, AW: 6.0
Experience: 1 year healthcare strategic consulting. 4 years IT business analyst, project manager
Extracurriculars: several undergrad leadership positions, Junior Achievement volunteer teacher, fewer ECs this year since I now have a 2 month old baby
Future: Interested in a career change to healthcare administration or entrepreneurship. Also looking to relocate to the New Orleans area (the opposite of most).

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 09:22
Have you applied/heard anything? I would think you'd be a good candidate with your scores and ECs.
I was recently accepted with full scholarship - I'm very excited about Freeman but weighing it against some higher-ranked options. Why do you think their ranking is so low? And do you think it matters?




EGall wrote:
I am mostly interested in one school: The Freeman School at Tulane. Would like to know how my profile stacks up. I think I am qualified for acceptance, but wondering if anyone knows what my scholarship/fellowship chances would be... Thanks!

26 year old white male
Undergraduate Degree: Vanderbilt University, 3.3 GPA, scholarship, B.S., cum laude
GMAT: 710
Q: 46, V: 41, AW: 6.0
Experience: 1 year healthcare strategic consulting. 4 years IT business analyst, project manager
Extracurriculars: several undergrad leadership positions, Junior Achievement volunteer teacher, fewer ECs this year since I now have a 2 month old baby
Future: Interested in a career change to healthcare administration or entrepreneurship. Also looking to relocate to the New Orleans area (the opposite of most).

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 12:04
Congrats on entry and scholarship. What's your profile?
I'm planning to submit my app before the round 2 deadline on 1/4.
Any advice as I wrap up?

Others on here may have an opinion, but I think Tulane is probably ranked a little lower because the degree is not as universally strong. Regionally, I think having a Tulane MBA is as good as any other. But west coast, midwest, northeast (to a lesser extent) - not so sure. I also think their rankings probably suffer from the aftermath of Katrina. It may be difficult for them to draw top faculty to NOLA. The school certainly does have its own strengths and N.O. is a great place for entrepreneurs right now.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 08:36
Thanks! I'm 26/f/740/3.7 from a tiny liberal arts school. 4 years of small business management, ECs with fair trade groups & community gardens. Also hoping to study entrepreneurship and relate it to the food industry.

I had some great advice from a friend who works closely with the Levy-Rosenblum Institute. She helped me to really define my goals in my essays, and to pick an "aha!" moment to focus on in order to introduce them - what was I doing that made me realize what I wanted to do in the future? She also helped me take out sentences that were underwhelming. I was reluctant to sound like I was bragging and was being overly humble rather than confident and enthusiastic. So those are some bits of advice that no one else in the books had really given me.

The admissions committee at Tulane is very helpful and receptive. They're definitely the most open and least pretentious group I've dealt with in this process, and they seem genuinely excited about the school and the opportunities that it offers, rather than just proud of the brand they carry like some of the others. I recommend reaching out to them if you haven't already.

I agree with you about their entrepreneurship program - it seems incredibly strong. It was also ranked pretty high on a list of global mbas that some of the other forum users were mocking recently. I thought it was an interesting take on the system. I love that you're required to travel at Freeman. Are you going for the fulltime program?

Good luck!! Let me know if I can help with anything!



EGall wrote:
Congrats on entry and scholarship. What's your profile?
I'm planning to submit my app before the round 2 deadline on 1/4.
Any advice as I wrap up?

Others on here may have an opinion, but I think Tulane is probably ranked a little lower because the degree is not as universally strong. Regionally, I think having a Tulane MBA is as good as any other. But west coast, midwest, northeast (to a lesser extent) - not so sure. I also think their rankings probably suffer from the aftermath of Katrina. It may be difficult for them to draw top faculty to NOLA. The school certainly does have its own strengths and N.O. is a great place for entrepreneurs right now.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 14:29
EGall wrote:
I'm planning to submit my app before the round 2 deadline on 1/4.




Hey, just wondering if you've heard anything from Freeman yet? I'm thinking of visiting in early March.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 14:38
Quote:
Hey, just wondering if you've heard anything from Freeman yet? I'm thinking of visiting in early March.


Submitted application on 1/4. Notified of invitation to interview on 1/11. Interviewed on 1/13 (thought it went pretty well).... Expecting to hear something any day. I'll let you know.
Re: Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2010, 14:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic RE: MBA profile evaluation niche27 1 07 Jul 2013, 01:10
2 vanderbilt mba v tulane mba tmer 3 08 May 2013, 22:21
Thoughts on the tulane mba program? jtm893 2 22 Apr 2012, 15:49
Profile Re-evaluation Please Raghavender 1 04 Jun 2010, 17:58
Profile Evaluation - Relocate to New Orleans - Tulane EGall 1 22 Nov 2009, 07:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation Re: Tulane MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.