Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 08:53
Hi

Thanks for reaching out.

Basic Information: 23 year old male, living in London

Undergrad: 2:1 from University College London, United Kingdom in Biochemical Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering with Hons). I won the Sir Derek Roberts Scholarship for this particular course. Student representative for this course.

GMAT: Projected 750-780 (according to GMATPrep tests)

Work Experience: 3+ years (4 by the time of joining an MBA college next year) of work in IT services for one of the major IT Services firms. My job title is Business Analyst but in addition also required to manage projects with my existing clients. I've worked with 3 blue chip clients in the banking sector in London.

Currently helping to manage a portfolio of 20 applications - existing and being developed.

I have experience in managing small scale agile projects and supervising other team members (though no direct reports). I should have good recommendations from my managers.

I've moved from the role of a software engineer to a business analys to a business analyst/project manager in the 3 years since graduation.

Worked for a period of 4 years as a News Analyst in an advertising/media monitoring firm on a part time basis while at school and university.

In addition, currently involved in building a startup for a microfinance firm (too little work done to be highlighted)

Other activities:
- CFA Level 2 candidate
- Volunteer with TeachFirst UK to help coach graduate teachers and mentor students
- Volunteer with St Mary's Secret Garden, an inner city organic garden cooperative as an IT consultant
- Active in recruiting campus hires (attended career fairs, gave presentations)
- Volunteer actively with a number of inner city schools as a teacher and mentor on a weekly basis

Career ambitions:
I'm still torn between various options such as working a consultant within my existing field, branching out into finance for structured products. An MBA would ideally help me have enough time and experience to choose. Over the long term, I'm looking to start up my own firm, with the right experience gathered from working over a decade or so.

Additional Information:

- Lived in about 7 countries in Asia, Middle East and Western Europe for periods ranging from 2 to 3 years.
- Learnt and forgot a large number of languages like Arabic, Sinhalese and Thai. I can speak fluent Hindi, adequate Urdu (analogous to Hindi), understand most North Indian languages, limited German and beginner French.
- Developed a keen understanding and interest in international relations, given my background as a diplomat's offspring. Currently attempting to translate that interest into a weekly newsletter/blog with like minded folks.
- I'm flexible in terms of location in the US, UK or France. I really would like to stay in a major city , both for convenience and for networking purposes. I am open to other choices as well.

Query

I'm realistic enough to understand that going for an MBA will not necessarily get me a dream job or provide me with an answer as to what career I should look at for the next decade. However, I'm hopeful that it will provide with enough options and experience to be able to take those steps.

I was hoping that you could evaluate whether I have an adequate profile to apply for top 10 MBA programmes like Harvard, Stanford, Insead or LBS. If not, I'd be grateful to hear whether it'd be appropriate for me to wait a few more years to gather experience or make some hard decisions about career choices.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 20:46
Expert's post
Well, there's a lot to digest there to be sure. What it boils down to though really is: apply now? I think you can make a compelling case for applying to HBS and Stanford now *if* you feel like you are ready to take a jump forward and you believe that others will believe that as well. If not, it's simple: get more seasoning and more experience.

If you do decide to apply, you will have to hammer maturity/discipline/focus in the applications.

You don't need to map out your future for yourself in order to apply, but at most schools, you do need to map it out for the schools. You will want to give them the career path that satisfies this equation: your work to date + an MBA from School X = this exact job. Don't ask too much and don't ask too little of the degree.

The fact that you've worked in London for some elite clients will be very helpful, your strong volunteer experiences will be a plus, and I think you can create a nice narrative of being a plus for the class. So it comes down to readiness and showcasing that you are at the right place in your career for this program to make a huge difference.

I know some of this was a little vague, but sometimes "true" and "vague" are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure we can help you in much greater detail if you are interested. PM me if you decide to take the plunge this year. We can definitely help you submit the best possible HBS and GSB applications.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton