Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 09:59
Hello,

I am 28, male. International applicant working in US. Travelled extensively, lived outside my home country for 10 years. Five years of work experience in consulting, have managed projects end to end. Worked on some unique projects. Co-author on a congressional study of a major housing issue.

Undergrad GPA 3.03 from University of Richmond. Majored in Economics and Finance, but the hold a degree in Business Administration. Post MBA goals include transitioning to work in finance or a bigger consulting firm.

I applied to 5 schools this year:
Wharton (r1 - interview - ding),
Stern (r1-no interview-waitlist),
Darden (r1-interview-waitlist),
Booth (r2-interview-ding),
Yale (r2-ding).

To boost my chances of getting of waitlist I retook the GMAT and got a much better score: Score 1: 680 V 38 Q46. Score 2: 730 V 42 Q48.

Given the somewhat disappointing results, I am starting to develop a strategy for 2012. I would appreciate any advice and feedback you may have, specifically around target schools.

I really like Stern and Darden. So one specific question I have is whether or not the schools encourage re-applicants? What can I do beyond re-taking the GMAT to prepare for the “re-applicant essays”? Are there any other school you would recommend looking into. This year my choice of school was guided to an extent by availability of no-cosigner loans.

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 16:25
Expert's post
Hey Fuji:

Thanks for reaching out to me. The simple way to determine whether or not a school encourages reapplicants is to look at the reapplicant essays. If the school allows you to fill out all of the essays again or allows you to fill out most of the essays, instead of just one update essay then you know they are generally reapplicant friendly. You also need to consider what the school considers a definition of a reapplicant.

NYU Stern Specifically states -- http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... Applicants
You are at no disadvantage if you apply as a re-applicant. We encourage you to take every opportunity during the re-application process to demonstrate how you have become a more competitive applicant since your last application. You may use the optional essay, Essay 4, to proactively address how your application has improved.

Given that NYU only considers reapplicants as applicants who have applied in the past year, and also given the above statement, I would say that the school is reapplicant friendly -- even though they only want you to fill out an abbreviated application.

UVA Darden has very little information on reapplying on their website. What I do know is that you can schedule a 15 minute feedback session with an admissions committee member. Information is here -- http://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admiss ... /feedback/

The fact that UVA Darden Offers feedback tells me that they are receptive to Reapplicants. It seems that they are especially keen on those who were waitlisted.

If you would like to schedule an initial consultation to go over why you may have been dinged, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

I hope the above helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton