Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 15:38
Hi, I'd like a profile evaluation request if you don't mind!

Background.

24 years old; African-American; Male

WE
- 3 years (at matriculation) at Fortune 100 Insurance Company . Spent 15 months in recent graudate Development Program. Promoted to Risk Management.

- graduated from a private school in CT (ranked one of the top 100 business schools in US) - 3.5 GPA. Major: Marketing, Minor:Finance

GMAT:
1st attempt: 640 47Q 31V 6.0 AWA
2nd attempt: 650 44Q 34V 6.0 AWA

Extracurricular:
- coordinated senior week graduation event in college.
- tutored elementary school students
- Junior Achievement school visits; Habitat for Humanity, golf tournaments

Post MBA
- i eventually want to run my own business. i want to concentrate in entrepreneurship, but I have heard this may hurt my chances of getting a job when I first graduate if I need to fall back on that and apply. Do you think this is true? Should I pick a different concentration to protect myself? I may consider general management instead.

Schools I'm Considering:

Consortium (ranked in preference): UT Austin McCombs, UC Berkley Haas, NYU Stern, UCLA Anderson, UVA Darden, USC Marshall

Non Consortium (ranked in preference): MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, Boston University

Are my goals too high? Don't want to take the GMAT again. I like UT Austin a lot. I would choose UT over all others except MIT and Northwestern. MIT/Northwestern/Haas/Stern are definitely my reaches. Boston University would be my safety. Are my 3 years of experience too low? GMAT too low?

Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 20:36
Expert's post
Hi DR2012,

You are asking a couple of really good, but really tough questions.

First, the question of entrepreneurship. It's not going to matter what concentration you seek from an MBA program - it's going to matter what you put down for your career goals. The rule of thumb is that unless you are a SERIOUSLY passionate entrepreneur who has displayed those chops with several attempts (past or ongoing), b-schools tend to not buy "I want to get an MBA, graduate, and start a business." There's simply no evidence that this is the way you work and operate, so what you become is a wild card. Instead, it is best to define some short-term goals that A) the MBA program is confident it can help you obtain, and B) will help you more toward those start-up dreams. There's almost no reason to state starting a business as your immediate goal - there's too much that can be learned by going into a broad post-MBA job (consulting, rotational programs, operations, etc.).

Second, your GMAT score is going to hurt you. The good news is that you are not in one of the super crowded demos (white male, Indian male), so you will get a bit more wiggle room, but not much. Below 670 is really hard at top 15 schools because they have to dip so far down below their average. The danger is that even if you have a great story (sounds like you could have the makings of one), they might not even read it because they have thousands of files to read and they sometimes screen out lower GMAT scores. Did you engage in hard core prep for the GMAT? If not, it might be worth hiring someone to help you max out your score. Even 20 more points would help a lot.

As for your school choices, it's a nice broad mix and that is good. You want a wide range of programs and you want a lot of them when you have an outlier stat, like your low GMAT.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton