Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:29
I'm looking for some guidance. Any advice is much appreciated!

Academics:
• GMAT: 680 (Q46, V38)- this was my second time taking the test; the first was: 640 (Q39, V39)
• College GPA: 3.3 in Finance from a State college from MAC division. Graduated 12/2008
• Passed CFA L1

Professional Experience:
• [Jan 2009- July 2010] Worked in Financial Planning and Analysis group at Fortune 100 financial services firm. Forecasted various P&L items
• [August 2010-present] Work as analyst in Treasury-Structured Funding group at same company. Our group executes large auto-backed securities transactions in the $1-2 billion range and has me working closely with i-bankers on the deals.
• 1 promotion, probably another by this Fall

Extracurricular (starting with most recent):
• Board member and volunteer @ local non-profit that focuses on adult literacy. As board member, I have created some initiatives related to marketing and attracting volunteers
• Founded and chair community outreach group at my company. To date we have held over 6 successful & diverse volunteer events and raised over $10k for local non-profits and charities. I founded this group at the beginning of 2010
• Junior Achievement volunteer; I teach success and work readiness skills to local Detroit public high school students
• During undergrad:
• Secretary of college Allocations Committee; responsible for doling out hundreds of thousands of dollars of school monies to various student organizations
• Tutored for finance courses
• Member of two academic clubs including the school’s investment and economics club; no leadership positions held in either

Goals:
• ST: investment banking
• LT: buy side- either HF or PE

Target Schools: Booth & Columbia (reach), Stern & Yale SOM (sweet spot), Cornell (safety).

My question: I understand that my academic profile is less than stellar, so I am planning on taking one or two supplemental courses online (probably Calculus I and Business statistics) to bolster that part of my application. However, I feel like I’m running out of time with R1 and Columbia ED deadlines quickly approaching. I don’t know that I have enough time to take the GMAT again (although I’m confident I can break the 700 barrier) and both supplemental courses. So the question is, do I use my current GMAT score and take two courses, or re-take the GMAT and take only one course? Or do I re-take the GMAT, take two courses, and apply to most schools in R2? Further, what are your thoughts on my set of target schools – are there any obvious ones I’m leaving out or that I shouldn’t bother with?

I could really use some guidance here as I approach application season. Of course, I am planning on using an admissions consultant for a few of my applications, so any additional strategy advice you can dole out given my profile and career plans will be much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 16:08
Expert's post
Hi PaulAllen,

With regards to which round you should apply to, you should apply when you feel your application is strongest. There is not an advantage to applying to any one round. The only exception to this is that you should avoid applying in the last round.

It looks like you are interested in attending school in New York, particularly given the proximity to the major investment banks. If this is the case, you do have a strong list.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap