Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 09:19
Hi Stacy,

I just took the GMAT for the third time and was disappointed in my score. Since it is my third time I'm not sure if I should take it again to try for a higher score. I figured it was time to get my profile evaluated to see if my application can hold it's own without another go at the GMAT. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback

GMAT:
620 (Q 42 percentile; V 87 percentile)
(two other attempted were in 2008 and were 560 and 580, I don't remember the breakdowns)

Undergraduate Education:
Boston University School of Management (graduated with a BSBA, with a concentration in marketing)
Boston University London Programme (internship study abroad program)
- Overall GPA: 2.99
- Major GPA: 3.4
- Dean's List '06
- Entered college with 6 college credits from Calculus 1 and Macroeconomics 101, received during senior year at Townsend Harris High School in conjunction with Queens College.
- Weakness: I struggled during my freshman year because I took on too many high level classes while I already had an overloaded course schedule. The business school has a math requirement, but I decided that since I already took Calculus 1 and performed well, I would take on Calculus 2 instead of the lower math requirement. Additionally, I took Macroeconomics 201. I didn't do well in these classes and it negatively affected my freshman year GPA. Throughout the rest of college, I was able to bring up my GPA with continuous improvement every semester.

Work Experience:
4+ years work experience
Grey NY (Advertising Agency) - Assistant Account Executive to Account Executive
- Promoted to account executive (a managerial role) in under a year
- Managed 3 Assistant Account Executives
- Work on offline advertising for major pharmaceutical clients: Eli Lilly, Pfizer

Omnicom Media Group (Media Agency Holding Company) - Global Business Development Supervisor
- Managed Global Business Development team in the US, APAC, LATAM and EMEA
- Worked on global media pitches and reviews for top client: J&J, GSK, McDonald's
- Managed 1 Business Development Assistant and 1 Business Development Associate in the Central Business Development team in NYC
- International and domestic travel

Euro RSCG Tonic (Advertising Agency) - Senior Digital Account Executive
- Learned digital business in under 6 months to become Senior Digital Account Executive
- Manage Assistant Account Executive and Intern
- Work on digital and offline advertisements for major pharmaceutical clients: Sanofi Aventis, GSK, Astellas

Activities:
Member of Team in Training (since 2008)
- Team in Training is the endurance running group that raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Completed the following races with the team: Rome Marathon '09, San Diego Marathon '10, Arizona Marathon '11, New York Mini 10K
- Raised over $12K for the organization
- Will complete the following races with the team: Rock 'n' Roll NY 10K '11 and Miami Half Marathon '12
- Took leadership role as mentor for San Diego, Arizona and New York Mini 10K races
- Currently Mentor Captain for Miami Half Marathon, a more senior leadership role as head of all of the mentors
- Current member of the newly started Alumni Committee and Marketing Sub-committee
- Soon to be featured in TNT's new advertising campaign

Reason for MBA:
Career change - to move into a role in Sports Brand Management for a company like Nike
International work experience

Schools being considered:
ESADE (ave GMAT: 670)
IE (ave GMAT: 678)
IESE (ave GMAT: 670)

Thank you in advance for evaluating my profile.

Regards,

AayeshaK
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 11:26
Expert's post
Hi AayeshaK,

Thanks for posting. Regarding your GMAT score, if you believe you can improve your score I recommend you take the test again. The reason is because although your score is only 50 points lower than the average of the schools you are looking at, it does put you in a low percentile.

Understand that your GMAT score is self-reported on your business school application, so admissions teams will only focus on your highest score. There isn't a downside to taking the test again (other than the cost and the time spent studying).

Regarding your undergraduate GPA, I recommend you read this case study of a candidate with a sub 3.0 GPA who was accepted into both Columbia and Chicago Booth:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 11:53
Thanks for the feedback. I will indeed take the exam again. I know that scholarships also depend on a good GMAT score, so it's definitely in my best interest. Thanks for the reassurance.

Regards,

AayeshaK