Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 08:44
Dear sir,

Though I understand that I belong to a very competitive pool, any advice to put things in perspective will be really helpful.
Appreciate your kind suggestions.

Demographics :
Indian/Male/29/Married

GMAT :
First attempt : 710 (Quant 49 83%, Verbal 38 84% AWA : 4.5)
-Wiling to try again and improve on the score to meet R2 deadlines of target schools. Suggestions?

Work Experience :
Total 7+ years of R&D software development exp.
* (Sep 2007 - present) Senior software engineer Motorola Mobility India Pvt. Ltd.(Formerly Motorola India Pvt Ltd.). Initially started of with R&D and now working both as independent and team contributor for Mobile devices North America and LATAM carrier customization. Wide variety of experience within Motorola ranging from Multimedia to Telephony to Rights Management to the current profile of developing cloud based services and solutions. Have won few awards and recognition at work for some good contributions.
* (Jul 2005 - Sep 2007) Systems Engineer as Tata consultancy services. Job responsibility include adding features to TCS's Investment banking solution Quarks(TM). Independently created a system downtime reporting module to increase the over all efficiency of the product.

Education :
UG: B-Tech IT from Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad(2005) with CGPA of 8.3/10
Schooling: XII : 79% State Board merit holder (2001)
X : 86.5% C.B.S.E (1999)

Extras :
* Trinity guild hall graded musician. Teach music on the weekends at the Eastern fair music academy(Jan 2010-till date). Performing musician. Previous band split up. Currently in pursuit of forming a new band,
* Helped a friend set-up a new music school in Bangalore.
* Currently consulting for a friends start-up V6 Networks which provides network and IT infrastructure for small KPO/BPOs. Recently helped them start a small cloud infrastructure initiative.
* Help an old Bangalore band "The unknowns" with their marketing. Maintain their youtube channel and contribute towards their content archiving.
* Was the captain of the college cricket team and have won a few debates and quizzes in college.
* Hobbies include music, reading, biking (Have done some longer Indian circuits), trekking ( Have done trekking in multiple Himalayan ranges within India and the south western Ghats) and a few more.

Social Activities:
* Fostered a underprivileged uneducated boy. Took the boy under my tutelage, educated him and finally trained him in mobile phone repairing. Currently helping him establish his own small business for cell phone repair and other mobile services in bangalore.
* Avid animal lover. Been actively trying to help in rehabilitation abandoned dogs. Been nurturing two dogs on my own which suffer from chronic diseases for past 5 years.
* Part of singing skylarks group which contributes towards empowering rural communities of Karnataka with educational and employment initiatives.
* Organised music concerts within Motorola to create environmental awareness and raise funds to help clean up nearby lakes.

MBA motivation:
Would like to acquire some technology strategy, technology marketing or business development academic background and help change the perspective towards Indian technology business being just an execution shop. Also keen on courses with entrepreneurship and leadership emphasis.

Target Schools:
Safe:
ISB
HKUST
NUS
Boundary/Difficult:
Duke
HAAS
Dream:
IMD
LBS
Wharton

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 453 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 01:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello there good sir,
So first of all, I question the necessity of you retaking the GMAT. The 710 is a great score! Of course people can be higher than you. But from my experience, when we are dealing with candidates coming from such a large tough pool as yours, it's not the extra 20 points on the GMAT that necessarily makes the difference, but your STORIES. Uniqueness, and great writing in your case are EXTREMELY helpful, because your challenge is to STAND OUT!

So that's first. Then, regarding your school list. It's pretty good, although I think qualifying ISB and HKUST as safe schools is overdoing things a bit. I'd say that you are more competitive there than safe. A real safe school for you might be Georgia Tech or McCombs, but the rest of the schools on your list are mighty tough.

Your goals are solid and logical, so definitely go with those... the big question now is: What to do to make your profile SHINE???

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 02:44
Dear Jon,

Appreciate your valuable inputs. That really do put things in clear perspective.
Here are my thoughts on story lines which can help my profile to STAND OUT:

1) Mobile phones are the new FMCG :) . By the time I join a school i shall have about 8 years of product dev exp with a top notch organisation that makes these devices. I think it gives a little competitive edge over the run of a mill software engineering services job.
2) Since technology is not only a business enabler but also a thriving business in itself (Apple Inc. being the most valuable company in the world) and owing to my love for technology my primary motivation behind an MBA is carrier advancement and not a carrier switch, which pretty much reflects in my choice of schools. So basically I have a clear thought about my rational behind joining a B-school which is to understand the business part of the technology business.
3) I am firm believer of "A little less conversation, a little more action please", which shows in my extra curricular and personal activities like individual mentoring, teaching and few business initiatives.
4) I have a really positive carrier growth graph in my current job despite the organisation struggling to stay afloat and going through multiple splits and merges. This facet of my profile can be enhanced by strong recommendation from my current/previous supervisors and colleagues.

For the rational behind retaking a GMAT, an improved score may help in scoring a few scholarship. Though I completely agree to your point that in a competitive pool like mine, an additional 20 will not add much value. My score though 710, has a good balance of Quant Vs Verbal, a little low on AWA part can be compensated by a top notch essay.

Would really love to receive your expert inputs on my profile story line.
Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Girish
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 01:49
Expert's post
1) Mobile phones are the new FMCG :) . By the time I join a school i shall have about 8 years of product dev exp with a top notch organisation that makes these devices. I think it gives a little competitive edge over the run of a mill software engineering services job.
:). True that. Definitely a good idea to go with the more specific "Mobile Phone" insdustry.

2) Since technology is not only a business enabler but also a thriving business in itself (Apple Inc. being the most valuable company in the world) and owing to my love for technology my primary motivation behind an MBA is carrier advancement and not a carrier switch, which pretty much reflects in my choice of schools. So basically I have a clear thought about my rational behind joining a B-school which is to understand the business part of the technology business.

For sure, and I totally agree with you that this is the best way for you to go. HOWEVER (you knew this was coming), this doesn't make your applicant pool any smaller!

3) I am firm believer of "A little less conversation, a little more action please", which shows in my extra curricular and personal activities like individual mentoring, teaching and few business initiatives.
That is definitely the way to go, in your essays as in life. More action. But the belief itself is not necessarily that unique in of itself... certainly a great idea though.

4) I have a really positive carrier growth graph in my current job despite the organisation struggling to stay afloat and going through multiple splits and merges. This facet of my profile can be enhanced by strong recommendation from my current/previous supervisors and colleagues.

This can be a very good one. Constant "overperformance" hopping from position to position, and showing overall rapid career advancement is definitely one of the best ways to drive the point home.

For the rational behind retaking a GMAT, an improved score may help in scoring a few scholarship. Though I completely agree to your point that in a competitive pool like mine, an additional 20 will not add much value. My score though 710, has a good balance of Quant Vs Verbal, a little low on AWA part can be compensated by a top notch essay.

True that! but you have to get in first. :) Actually, the debate about retaking the GMAT or not depends on one single thing: TIME. If it won't cut into your application time (like you'd be taking a holiday or something, then great!) If it will, and you want to apply this year, then well... maybe better off not...

Would really love to receive your expert inputs on my profile story line.
Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Girish

Go gettem Girish!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 23:21
You my dear sir are the b-school admissions Jedi.
All charged up to tackle 'em.
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 453 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 23:53
Expert's post
No doubt!
But we have to beware the Dark Side....
.... (insert dramatic film music here)...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado