Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 740 - 6+ years WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 740 - 6+ years WE [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 08:27
Hey,

I would like to request a profile evaluation - bear with me because it's not so straightforward.

I'm 28, male, Pakistani origin (high school/college in Canada, worked in the US) and have an undergraduate degree from McGill University (BCom - Finance/Accounting). My GPA was 2.46, but my transcript is schizophrenic - I have a lot of A's and A-s in finance and accounting courses (200 to 400 level), but there was a period of 1 year where I had personal issues and had a 0.0 (essentially had a 3.2 before everything went haywire).

My GMAT was 740 -79 percentile quant, 99 percentile verbal - 6.0 in the essay portion.

My work experience isn't exactly linear either.

1 year 6 months in a small boutique investment bank in New York - hired as an Analyst, promoted to Associate in 6 months, VP in just over a year. I was structuring and arranging aircraft finance transactions (largest was $595 million).

I moved to another investment banking/advisory firm in New York for another 1 year and 10 months as an Associate - did structuring/arranging of aircraft finance transactions, debt restructuring, due diligence, liquidity raises etc (deal sizes ranging from $100 million to $1.6 billion) - blend of managing financier relationships and analysis, pitches, deal documentation etc.

I then moved back to Pakistan (I quit my job) to help my father out with his business - we own an accounting firm, immigration consulting firm and an HR practice. Since the end of 2009, I've helped triple our high net worth client portfolio, set up 3 new immigration products (responsible for everything from research, marketing and operations) which have brought in over $1 million of revenue, established a quality management system, manage all communication with external parties, high net worth clients and relationships with financial institutions and project syndicates (investment based immigration). I have also completed a couple of ad-hoc advisory assignments - I conducted primary research for a global management consulting firm's India office in the transportation/logistics space (1 month assignment) and consulted to a Singapore based fund was exploring the health and education space in Pakistan (helping them figure out incorporation issues and introducing them to players). I'm also involved in a transaction by an investment group interested in buying defunct fertilizer plant in Eastern Europe - we're shareholders in an Eastern European advisory firm that is advising the group. Otherwise, I act like an advisor to the accounting firm (when they have due diligence or other similar assignments), helping them with their pitches etc.

Now that we have a solid portfolio, which will provide substantial income as the applications mature (essentially in runoff) and with supply restricted due to governments setting quotas/suspending programs, I would like the option to transition back to the job market in US/Canada or elsewhere in the developed world, though I'm debating entrepreneurship options in Pakistan as well. In the job market, I would be interested in consulting/advisory.

Personally, I haven't had the chance to be involved in extra-curriculars since college and am not particularly talented in anything - most of my spare time outside socializing is spent reading and while my knowledge base is well rounded and deep, I haven't done anything with it. I'm not that international either - I've lived in Pakistan, went to high school and university in Canada and worked in New York. I do deal with people all over for my work right now - Canada, Bulgaria, St. Kitts, Singapore, USA, UK etc.

So that gives you a good idea. Now keep in mind I have a green card and a Canadian passport, so post-graduation employment prospects shouldn't be too bad in North America since I wouldn't have visa issues.

So considering this sort of profile, what kind schools would you suggest? I know I'm not Harvard, Stanford or Wharton material, but I would like attend a good school. Geographically I'm open, but considering post-employment options, I know Europe would be dicey. I was already dinged by INSEAD and Oxford last year (my essays were weak, I wrote them overnight). This time I would like to make a sincere effort. Program length or cost is not an issue.

So any help would be appreciated. I am also open to working with a professional admissions counselor and would be grateful for any recommendations for counselors/consultants who have experience working with similar profiles.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 740 - 6+ years WE   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2012, 08:27