Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 14:10
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I have been an accounting manager, supervising two accountants, at a mid-sized company since August 2011. I started with current employer in December 2008 as a Junior Accountant, and was promoted to senior accountant in March 2010.
Before that I worked 18 months for a 10 people marketing company as a bookkeeper. I took that job because I was an international student, and needed to find a full time job within three month after graduation to apply for a work permit to stay in Canada.

2) Your GMAT.
First GMAT taken in December 2012 640 (Q50, V26) CR 4, W 4
Plan to retake in May 2012, target 700+ (Q50, V35+) CR 6+, W 5+

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
BBA from Acadia University, GPA 3.32/4.00, graduated 2007
Originally from China, I came to Canada in 2003. I was learning English when I took all my university courses.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
At Acadia University:
Chinese club treasure, Chinese club soccer team, New Year’s Banquet performer – singing, Judger at singing competition
Post school:
Mentor at Calgary Region of Immigration Council – Mentoring new immigrants to help them to develop useful skills to land to their first professional jobs in Canada
Tax preparer at Community Tax Program – prepare tax return for low income individuals

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Canadian Certified General Accountant, soon will be merged with Canadian CA and CMA, and become Canadian CPA.

6) Your target programs.
Top 30 MBA programs that can help me to become an iBanker.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R1-2 2014

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Investment Banking
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 15:34
Expert's post
yhx821 wrote:
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I have been an accounting manager, supervising two accountants, at a mid-sized company since August 2011. I started with current employer in December 2008 as a Junior Accountant, and was promoted to senior accountant in March 2010.
Before that I worked 18 months for a 10 people marketing company as a bookkeeper. I took that job because I was an international student, and needed to find a full time job within three month after graduation to apply for a work permit to stay in Canada.

2) Your GMAT.
First GMAT taken in December 2012 640 (Q50, V26) CR 4, W 4
Plan to retake in May 2012, target 700+ (Q50, V35+) CR 6+, W 5+

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
BBA from Acadia University, GPA 3.32/4.00, graduated 2007
Originally from China, I came to Canada in 2003. I was learning English when I took all my university courses.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
At Acadia University:
Chinese club treasure, Chinese club soccer team, New Year’s Banquet performer – singing, Judger at singing competition
Post school:
Mentor at Calgary Region of Immigration Council – Mentoring new immigrants to help them to develop useful skills to land to their first professional jobs in Canada
Tax preparer at Community Tax Program – prepare tax return for low income individuals

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Canadian Certified General Accountant, soon will be merged with Canadian CA and CMA, and become Canadian CPA.

6) Your target programs.
Top 30 MBA programs that can help me to become an iBanker.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R1-2 2014

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Investment Banking

Assuming your GMAT ends up where you think it will, consider programs like Duke Fuqua, Rotman, Rochester, Cornell Johnson, Georgetown, and Yale. If you would consider an Asian program, look into HKUST or ISB.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 11:27
Hi Linda,

I have received my second GMAT score 710 Q50 V34 AWA 4.5 IR 4. With low AWA and IR scores, do you think I should still consider the schools you recommended?

Thanks,
Michael
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:26
Expert's post
yhx821 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I have received my second GMAT score 710 Q50 V34 AWA 4.5 IR 4. With low AWA and IR scores, do you think I should still consider the schools you recommended?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

Schools aren't quite sure how yet to use the IR. The AWA is a factor, but and your verbal score is also a tad low, but English is a second language. I still think you shoudl try for the programs I suggested. Duke and Yale are stretches. You just have to decide if the possibility of acceptance at these programs is enough to warrant the effort of applying.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog