Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 35

Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
1. Experience:
I have full-time work experience of 37 months in IT field (Infosys Limited) with Investment banking as a domain. I work as a Test Engineer and I test a trading application of one of the biggest bank, that is used by many people all over the world.
2.My GMAT: 690 (Q50 V33) and TOEFL: 100 (R28 L23 S24 W25)
3.College Info:
Name: VPCOE, Pune University, India
Major: Mechanical Engineering
YOG: 2009
4.Extra-Curricular
Won 1st prize at National level paper presentation contest conducted in 2008 by my college.
I have hosted, as well as managed, many college level events.
5. My Target programs:
please suggest me few.
6.Applying: R4 2012-2013
7.Post-MBA goal: To work with top Investment banking firms, as I have knowledge of investment banking and I find investment banking interesting.

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 02:16
Expert's post
Hey daviesj,

Thanks for reaching out to me. Where are you located? US, EU, India?

Additionally, can you clarify your goal? Are you looking for a middle office position within banking, or are you looking to move into a client facing role? It's hard for me to short-list your schools because I don't know what your goals are - specifically. My point is that you and I have a fairly good understanding of your background, but I certainly know little about your goals. An MBA is not necessarily a one-size-fits-all degree and you have to pick and choose the school that is right for you and your goals. I would view a particular program as a conduit or bridge to your short and long-term goals. Some bridges will be better than others. Some of the bridges that are better, will not let you pass. Other bridges that may not be as appropriate, may not be the ones you want to take even if they accept you at the toll booth.

What I can tell you is that your scores are very borderline - both GMAT and TOEFL. The best thing you can do at this point - since it is so early in the season - is to retake the GMAT. Until you get those scores up, you are going to have a problem getting into a top 15 program - which is what I am assuming you are really trying to do.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

daviesj wrote:
1. Experience:
I have full-time work experience of 37 months in IT field (Infosys Limited) with Investment banking as a domain. I work as a Test Engineer and I test a trading application of one of the biggest bank, that is used by many people all over the world.
2.My GMAT: 690 (Q50 V33) and TOEFL: 100 (R28 L23 S24 W25)
3.College Info:
Name: VPCOE, Pune University, India
Major: Mechanical Engineering
YOG: 2009
4.Extra-Curricular
Won 1st prize at National level paper presentation contest conducted in 2008 by my college.
I have hosted, as well as managed, many college level events.
5. My Target programs:
please suggest me few.
6.Applying: R4 2012-2013
7.Post-MBA goal: To work with top Investment banking firms, as I have knowledge of investment banking and I find investment banking interesting.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 04:11
Hi Paul,
First of all thanks for the prompt reply.
I reside in India. I am not actually trying for top 15 schools. I want a school that will be a best fit for me and a affordable one (55000 USD is my budget (tuition + living expenses)). Additionally, I would be more than just happy with any school between top 20 and 30. My long term plan is to be an Investment banker and be settled in USA or UK. I have no thought of appearing for GMAT again as I have already got an 120 points increment and I fear that next attempt would worsen my score. Please advise me good programs that fall in my requirement.
Thanks

Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey daviesj,

Given your criteria, I would take a closer look at:

Boston University
Tepper
Oxford
Cambridge
UCLA Anderson
McCombs
Haas (stretch)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

daviesj wrote:
Hi Paul,
First of all thanks for the prompt reply.
I reside in India. I am not actually trying for top 15 schools. I want a school that will be a best fit for me and a affordable one (55000 USD is my budget (tuition + living expenses)). Additionally, I would be more than just happy with any school between top 20 and 30. My long term plan is to be an Investment banker and be settled in USA or UK. I have no thought of appearing for GMAT again as I have already got an 120 points increment and I fear that next attempt would worsen my score. Please advise me good programs that fall in my requirement.
Thanks

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Paul for suggesting me tge programs. Do I stand any chance of scholarship in these programs? and are all above programs within my budget?
thanks again.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey daviesj,

Ha, I knew you were going to asked that as a follow up! I know for a fact that you do stand a chance for money at BU, but I am not sure about the other schools. I say "know for a fact" because I have had international applicants receive substantial amounts of money from BU. As an aside, I have also noted that Iowa, USC and Emory tend to give out to a lot of solid international applicants who might be borderline at a top 15 program or so ....

Does that help you out at all? I hope so! 8-)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

daviesj wrote:
Thanks Paul for suggesting me tge programs. Do I stand any chance of scholarship in these programs? and are all above programs within my budget?
thanks again.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 05:29
This post received
KUDOS
I am thinking of applying to Mannheim business school for Sept'13 intake. Is it worth applying? is it good for finance? can i get good job without having to learn German, can i get job outside germany with this school?

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 02:39
Expert's post
Hey daviesj,

Thanks for reaching out to me - again.

To be honest, it's hard to answer all of your questions with a binary answer, but I will try. Things are not as convenient as yes/no, and others are better discussed as part of a client/consultant/confidential relationship.

1. This is only something you can decide by actually doing your own research into the school.
2. No, but it's relative. Is it better than some no name school for finance - maybe. Is it better than LBS for Finance - nope.
3. No, not in any company (or their clients) that uses German as their primary language.
4. Not out of the EU, most likely.

Few things in life are yes/no and you seem to seek convenient yes/no answers. I would encourage you to do the legwork. For example, "is school x good for finance?" You should really look at the rankings for finance programs in the EU. This is something that you should own. After all, its your future.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

daviesj wrote:
I am thinking of applying to Mannheim business school for Sept'13 intake. Is it worth applying? is it good for finance? can i get good job without having to learn German, can i get job outside germany with this school?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile evaluation request!!! [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 19:09
thanks, I did a lil research and then concluded that will not apply to Mannheim..
Reasons:
1.School Not renowned outside Germany
2.I don't want to learn new language.
3.My ultimate aim to become an investment banker won't be accomplished with this school.
I guess in whole of Europe, only UK and switzerland has good investment banking firms. I will keep my preference to UK now. The reason I didnot consider UK in the first place is that the after graduation work permit is vess less. It is not enuf to get investment back. I wonder if Canada is option?
thanks again Paul.