Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.93
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 09:57
Hi, and thanks in advance!

Gmat
690 (42Q 42V)
87th percentile
Still waiting for AWA and IR scores

Academics
Overall GPA: 3.93
Major GPA: 4.0
Graduated with a B.S. in Business Economics from Hofstra University in 2010
Have two outstanding academic letters of recommendation, one from the chairman of Hofstra's economics deparment

Achievements/proficiencies/extra-curricular
Provost's list two semesters (Dean's list every other semester)
Graduated summa cum laude
Fluent in Serbo-Croatian
Chairman of Hofstra's economics club where I helped organize several guest lectures and policy debates

Professional experience
Work two part-time jobs
No relevant full-time work experience

Goal: Earn an MBA in finance from a top 20 institution and find employment in business valuations, risk management or financial management. Ultimate goal is to own my own hedge fund.

Target Programs:

Yale
Cornell
Duke
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Virginia
Oxford
INSEAD

[I plan to apply as soon as I get a sense of the relative strength of my application]
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 13:59
Expert's post
Esuric-

The starting point for you is full-time work experience! I am sure you know this. The schools you are applying to mostly require at least 2 years of full-time work experience, if not more. Of course, you could always try to apply without the full-time experience, but I do not think you would have a high likelyhood of success at those elite schools. I wonder, why do you work two part-time jobs instead, and what are they? Can you elaborate? Is there more going on in your life beyond work? Not working full-time is a big red flag to the Admissions Committee.

Best of Luck!

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.93
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 16:12
VeritasPrepCJane wrote:
Esuric-

The starting point for you is full-time work experience! I am sure you know this. The schools you are applying to mostly require at least 2 years of full-time work experience, if not more. Of course, you could always try to apply without the full-time experience, but I do not think you would have a high likelyhood of success at those elite schools. I wonder, why do you work two part-time jobs instead, and what are they? Can you elaborate? Is there more going on in your life beyond work? Not working full-time is a big red flag to the Admissions Committee.

Best of Luck!

Thank you for your response, no matter how disheartening it may be!

It's not that I want to work two part-time jobs, it's just that I can't find full-time employment even remotely related to economics/finance. Most companies don't even call me back for an interview (I'm assuming due to my lack of experience) and local/state government's aren't hiring due to budgetary issues. I go on the occasional interview from time-to-time, make it to later rounds, but never ultimately get hired (and this is becoming increasingly difficult as time progresses and I forget more and more material). The only jobs that seem to be available are pure commission sales jobs.

I currently work as a coordinator in retail (I'm in charge of a department) and as a server for an event-staffing company. I was hoping to go back to school for additional training/access to great internships.

There really aren't any schools that will take someone without relevant work experience? My alma mater said that they would take me with a 520 GMAT. I assumed that a 690 could get me somewhere better.

Thanks again