Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 15:13
Background info: 24 year old white dude, middle class

School: UC Berkeley, Double major in Chemistry and Economics. GPA: 3.1, low because Chem kicked my Butt! But I have a major GPA of 3.7 for Econ

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V35)

Work Experience: Analyst at Big 4 (consulting for the federal government)

EC: I volunteer in corporate sponsored STEM workshops for inner city high school kids, IM basketball while in college

Letters of REC: I'd say they should be really good, one from a direct supervisor, the other from a customer

Target schools: Fuqua (early decision), Ross, Darden, Anderson, Marshall. All Fall 2014

Why MBA? Career advancement, I want to shift into management consulting at an elite firm. My long term goal is to start my own consultancy firm focusing on the public sector.

Thanks in Advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 19:06
Expert's post
There are some suggestions I would make:
1- See if you can take the GMAT again and score higher.  Your score is solid, but with a 3.1gpa (even though from Berkeley) I would want to prove that I am really smart by a great GMAT score.
2-  WE:  how long have you been working.  At age 24, 2 or 3 years?  A few more years WE would bode well for your candidacy.
3- Extacurriculars:  IM is not something that you want to highlight unless you had some sort of leadership position- ie. organized the league, etc.  As for the STEM, very cool, but can you up the ante and contribute at a leadership level, i.e. putting on events for them, leading workshops that are your idea?
4- Nothing you show above screams superstar.  You need to show leadership, innovation, initiative.  You need to dig in on this and either find it from what you have done, or create it between now and when you apply.  Top b-schools look for leaders.  And, also they look for people that will uniquely contribute to the class, and who will be great ambassadors for the brand post-MBA- how do prove you can do both?

I would say put a little more thought into what makes you compelling, and communicate it for yourself before you begin any application.  

Best of luck!

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 20:52
VeritasPrepCJane wrote:
There are some suggestions I would make:
1- See if you can take the GMAT again and score higher.  Your score is solid, but with a 3.1gpa (even though from Berkeley) I would want to prove that I am really smart by a great GMAT score.
2-  WE:  how long have you been working.  At age 24, 2 or 3 years?  A few more years WE would bode well for your candidacy.
3- Extacurriculars:  IM is not something that you want to highlight unless you had some sort of leadership position- ie. organized the league, etc.  As for the STEM, very cool, but can you up the ante and contribute at a leadership level, i.e. putting on events for them, leading workshops that are your idea?
4- Nothing you show above screams superstar.  You need to show leadership, innovation, initiative.  You need to dig in on this and either find it from what you have done, or create it between now and when you apply.  Top b-schools look for leaders.  And, also they look for people that will uniquely contribute to the class, and who will be great ambassadors for the brand post-MBA- how do prove you can do both?

I would say put a little more thought into what makes you compelling, and communicate it for yourself before you begin any application.  

Best of luck!

Thank you Jane! These are all great advice!

I currently have 2 full years of WE at age 24, is 3 years at matriculation too low?

I believe that I do have significant achievements at work in the last two years. I was promoted from analyst -> senior analyst in 6 month (first among my cohort of Fall 2011 graduates), and I have leadership experiences in mentoring new analysts throughout this past year. I also have contributed greatly in fostering relationship with one of our clients, which is why I am asking a customer to write a letter of rec.

I also have 1.5 years of internship experience in consulting during college. Do internships count as WE on MBA applications?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 08:05
Expert's post
Definitely include internships, but they will not necessarily count as work experience.  3 years of WE is sufficient, but the schools are trending toward higher average number of years WE.

Put in the time to develop your thoughts on you achievements, leadership, initiative.  The better you can tell this story the more compelling you will sound.  How we sell our personal brand is a key component of admissions.

Best-

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews