Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:37
Hi --

I'm looking to get some feedback on the competitiveness of my profile. I'm in a cohort that I would imagine is fairly common, so I'm just curious to hear some thoughts on if this profile is competitive and if there is differentiation. I'm looking at HBS, Stanford, and Kellogg.

24 year old, White, Male

Education: University of Notre Dame, 3.8 GPA, Economics
- Side Note: I was denied 3 times before finally getting into ND (transferred in as a junior). I think it is a good adversity story, especially considering that I was successful when I finally did get into ND.

GMAT: 710

Job: Strategy Consultant at PwC, 2 years (would be 36 months work experience upon matriculation)
- I also had an internship in Sydney, Australia for 3 months in college. The internship was for an international trade non-profit.

Extra-curricular activities:
- Tournament Director of Tier 1 college bowling tournament (1 of 2 largest collegiate bowling tournaments in the world, with 130 teams from 70 schools). Generated over $80k in revenue and $25k in profit through running the tournament.
- Pro bono consulting work with companies in El Salvador (virtual projects). Act as Team Lead.
- (college) Founder of Consulting Club at ND. Club is now one of the most popular clubs on campus.
- (college) Captain on Bowling Team -- 3 time Academic All American

Post MBA Goal: Continue consulting with one of the big 3 strategy firms (MBB). Long term goal is to set up a non-profit foundation to provide consulting services in developing countries (similar to the pro bono projects I'm doing on the side of client work now).

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 18:55
Expert's post
You actually have a few things that can help you overcome AWM syndrome (average white male). Having a unique story is key and i like the unusual qualities of some things in your profile and the fact that you seem to be pretty deeply involved (e.g. the bowling). It's always better to be deep on something as opposed to being shallow on a bunch of things. It is also unusual for an AWM to have international experience, so you should definitely speak to how this has shaped your perspective. Graduating from one of the top ug business programs in the country will look good as well as your good GMAT score which will also be high for the AWM crowd. Additionally, your consulting background, while not uncommon, is still going to be valuable since you will bring much to the table which can help classmates particularly those who want to go into consulting post MBA yet matriculate without any knowledge of the industry or experience. Upwards of 30-40% of post MBA plans involve consulting, so you will be viewed as valuable to your cohort by coming in with three years from a top firm. Finally, the fact you seem to know exactly where you want to go post MBA is going to make you appear mature and ready for b-school. One thing I will caution you against is applying to HBS and STanford. These two schools are very different in their cultures and curricula, so you might investigate why you feel like you would be a good fit at both when typically you would be a better fit at one or the other. Lots of people apply to both, but unless you alter your story and approach to each school, it's unlikely you would get in both of those. Kellogg should be reachable, but I would add another school in the top 10 that's not considered the very top (think about schools like Tuck or Duke or Cornell which often get overlooked).

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 22:00
Bryant, I much appreciate the response and feedback!

Question around the overcoming 3 rejections to finally get into ND: is this a differentiator? I know it is not a differentiator in the traditional sense, but it does go along with the unique story that you mentioned in your response. I really have no idea how an Adcom would view this experience -- might make me more likeable to know that I persevered or may make them question why I was denied so many times to begin with -- and would appreciate your thoughts.