Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:58

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2007, 21:13
Paul,

I'm new to this forum as a registered user although I've been browsing this forum as a guest for a while. I'm glad I found this part of the forum. I'd appreciate if you could give a few moments to my profile:

BKG & EDUCATION
I'm planning on applying for Fall 2008. I'm a 24 year old Indian national working in the US for last 3 years (would have 4.75 yrs post Bachelors' full time experience at the time of entering B shcool in 2008; 3.75 yrs experience at the time of application). I graduated with a BS from The University of Texas - Austin with a degree in Computer Engineering in Dec'03; I finished my BS degree in 3.5 yrs with a GPA - 3.7 and worked 20+ hrs/wk during reg semesters, 40+ in summers/breaks during school.

After graduating, I got an excellent engineering job, which paid equivalent of what was paid to the top 3% of the graduating class. While working, I'm about to get a part time masters in Electrical Engineering, again from UT-Austin (I have taken several Business school courses from McCombs Business School as electives towards my MS degree), at the end of Spring 2007 semester. Current GPA - 3.9.

Current, Former Jobs, Extra Curricular
During my day job, I work in the semiconductor (chip design) industry. My (engineering) job involves working with engineers of other firms/customers & help with sales/support of my semiconductor firm's products, make technical presentations, provide training. My mid size company is relatively flat, so there's less chance of formal growth. However, the co silently rewards employee initiatives (and impact on projects with customers) and I have been rewarded on and off since i started, if that's any indication of job growth. I've also had one formal promotion in grade level in 1.5 years ago. I have also impacted several multi-million dollar deals that our group (of engineers) has won for the company.

I had several (software) internships during my undergraduate days, and with 20+ hrs/week internships during regular semesters & 40+ hrs/week internships in summers (to the extent that this can add to the equivalent of an extra 20 months of full time work ex to my total experience if I were to add all the intenships), I was just about making my ends meet to pay for my education/living all through UG days. Therefore, with such a busy schedule, I was not super active outside school & work during UG days. However, in the last 3 years since graduating with a BS I've been active in various community service projects in my city, and specially super active at a neglected children's home. I've also been active as a part time graduate student in various organizations at UT-Austin campus over the last 2 years.

Why MBA, Why now?
Working alongside sales, and seeing the $ side of semiconductor companies in my day job, I have got attracted to the financial aspects of how semiconductor cos work. Given my current background, I felt I needed to do more to gain credibility to get into an area where I'd like to see myself get into. I believe I can gain that formal education and credibility through an MBA. Therefore, without wasting further time, I felt that it's the right time to do an MBA.

Post MBA
Post MBA, I'd like to get into private equity/financial consulting for semiconductor/high-tech. Since I already have formal education/experience in high-tech, I would like to leaverage that along with my MBA in future.

GMAT
I recently took my first stab at the GMAT. I got a 700 (50Q, 35V, AWA 6.0).

Target schools
I would like to get your opinion on my profile and what else could I do to increase my chances at the schools of my choice:
Wharton
Kelloggs
Chicago GSB
MIT-Sloan
Haas
Stanford
Duke
Dartmouth
Harvard
Columbia

I still have a few months before I apply, so I will appreciate any thoughts.

Concern
My one concern was regarding my GMAT score. I have heard that for the schools I'm trying to target, my score might not be "good enough" since I'd be considered along with the pool of other Indian electrical engineers, who have a "740+ GMAT". I'm willing to re-take the GMAT, should it be necessary in order to appear competitive for top schools. Thoughts?

Regards,
LonghornInATX
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 07:30
longhorninatx wrote:
Paul,

I'm new to this forum as a registered user although I've been browsing this forum as a guest for a while. I'm glad I found this part of the forum. I'd appreciate if you could give a few moments to my profile:

BKG & EDUCATION
I'm planning on applying for Fall 2008. I'm a 24 year old Indian national working in the US for last 3 years (would have 4.75 yrs post Bachelors' full time experience at the time of entering B shcool in 2008; 3.75 yrs experience at the time of application). I graduated with a BS from The University of Texas - Austin with a degree in Computer Engineering in Dec'03; I finished my BS degree in 3.5 yrs with a GPA - 3.7 and worked 20+ hrs/wk during reg semesters, 40+ in summers/breaks during school.

After graduating, I got an excellent engineering job, which paid equivalent of what was paid to the top 3% of the graduating class. While working, I'm about to get a part time masters in Electrical Engineering, again from UT-Austin (I have taken several Business school courses from McCombs Business School as electives towards my MS degree), at the end of Spring 2007 semester. Current GPA - 3.9.

Current, Former Jobs, Extra Curricular
During my day job, I work in the semiconductor (chip design) industry. My (engineering) job involves working with engineers of other firms/customers & help with sales/support of my semiconductor firm's products, make technical presentations, provide training. My mid size company is relatively flat, so there's less chance of formal growth. However, the co silently rewards employee initiatives (and impact on projects with customers) and I have been rewarded on and off since i started, if that's any indication of job growth. I've also had one formal promotion in grade level in 1.5 years ago. I have also impacted several multi-million dollar deals that our group (of engineers) has won for the company.

I had several (software) internships during my undergraduate days, and with 20+ hrs/week internships during regular semesters & 40+ hrs/week internships in summers (to the extent that this can add to the equivalent of an extra 20 months of full time work ex to my total experience if I were to add all the intenships), I was just about making my ends meet to pay for my education/living all through UG days. Therefore, with such a busy schedule, I was not super active outside school & work during UG days. However, in the last 3 years since graduating with a BS I've been active in various community service projects in my city, and specially super active at a neglected children's home. I've also been active as a part time graduate student in various organizations at UT-Austin campus over the last 2 years.

Why MBA, Why now?
Working alongside sales, and seeing the $ side of semiconductor companies in my day job, I have got attracted to the financial aspects of how semiconductor cos work. Given my current background, I felt I needed to do more to gain credibility to get into an area where I'd like to see myself get into. I believe I can gain that formal education and credibility through an MBA. Therefore, without wasting further time, I felt that it's the right time to do an MBA.

Post MBA
Post MBA, I'd like to get into private equity/financial consulting for semiconductor/high-tech. Since I already have formal education/experience in high-tech, I would like to leaverage that along with my MBA in future.

GMAT
I recently took my first stab at the GMAT. I got a 700 (50Q, 35V, AWA 6.0).

Target schools
I would like to get your opinion on my profile and what else could I do to increase my chances at the schools of my choice:
Wharton
Kelloggs
Chicago GSB
MIT-Sloan
Haas
Stanford
Duke
Dartmouth
Harvard
Columbia

I still have a few months before I apply, so I will appreciate any thoughts.

Concern
My one concern was regarding my GMAT score. I have heard that for the schools I'm trying to target, my score might not be "good enough" since I'd be considered along with the pool of other Indian electrical engineers, who have a "740+ GMAT". I'm willing to re-take the GMAT, should it be necessary in order to appear competitive for top schools. Thoughts?

Regards,
LonghornInATX

longhorninatx,

Because you are aiming very high and because you come from a common applicant pool, making yourself stand out will be key. Your profile is impressive but not especially unusual. Lifting your GMAT another 20-40 points would not hurt, but far more important is juicing up what I see as your "weak" spots: lack of formal management or evidence of "fast-track" status at work and good but not exceptional community involvement (unless by "super active" you mean you have a leadership role at the children's home). I'm not suggesting you change jobs. I am suggesting that your current work profile (at least as you've given it to me here) is not at the "ultra elite" level: super-performing fast-tracker. A really substantial, organization-guiding leadership role outside of work would be one way to compensate for this. Finally, you seemed a bit vague on the goals so I rcommend spending the next months nailing down your post-MBA plan and building a network of people in PE/FC that you can refer to in your essays as your "due diligence" in learning about your new career. Your odds at Haas, Duke, Chicago, and MIT look highest to me.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter