Joined: 03 Jun 2011
, given: 0
Profile evaluation request for HBS 2+2 [#permalink]
03 Jun 2011, 23:39
I am Jhonny from India. Could you please take a look at my profile. I am aiming for HBS 2+2.
UG: Major in Civil Engineering and Minor in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. Pursuing Masters in Structural Engineering.
GMAT: 700 (Q 50, V 34)
3 months Internship at Deutsche Bank, Mumbai related to Exchange Traded funds.
2 months internship at Indian institute of Management Bangalore, India on Operations management
3 months social internship at Rakshak Foundation based in Santa Clara, USA dealing with Police reforms.
Extracurricular Activities/Leadership Experience
-Project manager of Institute's student satellite initiative.
--The largest technical project undertaken by the institute. Have led a team of 60 students over the past 4 years and managed funds to the tune of 0.75 million USD.
--The project has obtained launch clearance from Indian Space Research Organisation.
-- Have attended the International Astronautical congress held in Pargue and published 4 conference papers as part of the Project.
-- Have developed a social goal, with the help of my team,for the project wherein 11 other universities including a french university are collaborating with us.
-Head of the Institute Student Mentorship Program
-- Leading a team of 80 "mentors" (selected from around 1000 students) who are responsible for the overall development of the freshman of the institute
-- Head of the Department Academic Mentor Program that helps the academically weak students
-- Introduced a system of honour code in the institute and centralised the working of the Academic Rehabilitation program.
- Senior Member of the Tower of babylon project by the Global Technical Alliance of Universities
--Senior member of the team Nirmaan which is building a sustainable structure, representing the ethos of sustainability in the Indian context, as part of the Tower of Babylon competition organised by the Global technical alliance of 7 universities around the globe.
-- The team is representing India at the competition
-Chief Editor of Yellow, magazine for Civil Engineering Department
-- Was responsible for overall management of the magazine. Published an issue focusing on the transportation problems facing India.
--Was able to circulate the magazine to over 80 NGO's and universities during my stint as the editor.
-Student Advisory Body member for Civil Engineering Department
-- Responsible for implementing academic reforms in the department
-- Was felicitated by the Senate (the highest administrative body of the institute) for exemplary work
-Debating Secretary for the Hostel
-- Won the Institute Debating league during my tenure as the Debating Secretary
-- Was the editor of Expressions, the Hostel Valedictory Magazine
-Class representative of my batch for a year
-Coordinator of Techfest, Asia's largest technical festival
-- Organised an event called Astronight which attracted a crowd of more than 1000 people
-- Delivered a popular lecture on Astronomy in the event
- Was part of Group Rural Activities group in freshmen year as part of national Social Service
- Volunteer at Abhiyashika, an organisation which teaches poor slum kids
Awards and Distinctions
- Was awarded the Narottam Seksharia Merit cum means scholarship by the Gujarat Ambuja Group for academic excellence for 2 consecutive years
- Was awarded the Institute Scholarship twice for being the Department Rank 1. Currently ranked 7th in the institute and 1st in the department.
- Awarded the Institute Technical Color for the year 2009-10 for extraordinary performance in technical activities. It is the highest technical award for a student.
- Won the First place at National Level Technical paper Presentation held at COEP, Pune in 2008-2009 on the topic Self-
Healing Anti Corrosion Nanofilms
- Won the First place at National Level Technical paper Presentation held at COEP,Pune and at VJTI, Mumbai in 2007-2008 on
the topic Use of Nanorobots in Drug Delivery
- Won the First place at Technical paper Presentation held at National College , Mumbai in 2004-2005 on the topic Global
Warming and Greenhouse Effect : Causes and Solutions
- Participated in the National Level project design competition organized by Du – Pont in 05’ – 06’ on Designer Genes-
- Awarded Hostel Cultural Color for 2 consecutive years in ‘09-‘10 and ‘10-‘11 for outstanding contribution in cultural domain
- Was part of the IITB contingent in Rostrum Spectrum, national level debating competition, organized by Poddar
College and the Times Of India in 2008 and qualified into the Semi-finals of the Group Discussion
- Was awarded the Best Country Profile at the first INDIAN MODEL UNITED NATIONS, an international level event
organized by Xavier’s group of schools at Delhi in 2003 and having participants from over 5 countries and about 80
schools and colleges
- Won the 3rd place, amongst the country’s top 8 teams in Hindi literary and debating competition at Mood Indigo ’09,
Asia’s largest college cultural festival
- Won the Hindi debate in Institute Debating League General Championship for three consecutive years
- Won 2nd place in KavyaSandhya, an original poem composition and recitation event, organised as part of Institute
- Was awarded the best student in Science award in Junior College
- Was awarded the best boy award for 5 consecutive years in School
- Awarded the ‘Best Camper Boy ’ at the NSS camp in 2004
-Was Tutor for Calculus for the freshman batch of 2010 at IIT Bombay
-Won numerous Extempore, Debates, Quizzes at school level & different clubs/organizations
-Featured on NDTV in an interview with Mr. Nandan Nilekani on UID as representative of IIT Bombay
- Completed basic course in French offered by the French Embassy
Schools applying to
- HBS 2+2
- Stanford GSB
- MIT Sloan
GMAT score. Work experience.
1.Can you please comment on whether my GMAT score will be a deterrent for HBS to select me ? I am really scared because of this.
2. Is my GPA good enough to apply to Harvard ?
3. Is there something specific in my application that you think I should focus more on ?
4. Do you think that my leadership experience with the satellite project and Mentorship program can offset my low work experience ?
5. Finally, do you think I can make the cut to HBS 2+2 ?
Thanks a lot for your insights and comments.