Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation request - for INSEAD/LBS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation request - for INSEAD/LBS [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 11:13
Hi,

Kindly review my profile and advise if I stand a realistic chance at either INSEAD or LBS.

Education: Masters in Economics with 2nd rank in India's best commerce college. Bachelors with Honors in Economics

Work Experience: 6 years. Currently working for credit card giant as a risk manager. Handle a team of 3 talented employees. Responsible for Europian and Asian markets. Interact with market partners in UK, Australia and Japan on a daily basis. Have only worked 3 months outside my home country (India).

GMAT: 740 (don't exactly remember scaled scores but are pretty balanced - 85% Quant and I think 95% Verbal). Yet to get AWA scores but should be at least 5.5.

Other details: 30 years of age, married with a kid.

Why MBA? Think I can do better with my career. Want to get into asset management.

I am thinking of applying to INSEAD and LBS. Evaluating ESADE but looks it is more for marketing folks. Do you think my choice of schools aligns with my career goals and do I stand a decent chance with these schools?

Thanks!

Last edited by vansh on 23 Dec 2011, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation request - for INSEAD/LBS [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi vansh,

I believe you do stand a chance at these programs. One thing I want to mention is that your numbers are very strong, however admissions teams are going to look beyond these and will look at your essays and recommendations. Make sure not to ignore these parts of your application- leadership experience in particular will be important.

Here is some school specific advice for the programs you are interested in:

INSEAD: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/insead-advice/
LBS: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/l ... ol-advice/

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation request - for INSEAD/LBS [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 01:27
Hi Stacy,

Thanks so much for your response. I am getting recommendations from my current supervisor and my previous supervisor (who is an American located in NY with whom I had worked for 3 years). I am banking on my previous supervisor to highlight my international outlook. I had excellent reputation with the team in NY and great relations with my previous supervisor. Also I really accomplished a lot in my previous job as well.

Also my career shows very clear signs of progression - both in terms of responsibilities and designations. I too believe that my essays and recos will be the deciding points which is why I have every intention of doing the best job that I am capable of on my essays.

Thanks again for you input. Much appreciated. I have gone through a lot of your previous responses also and feel that you give very relevant advices and are one of the best - if not the best - advisors out here.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation request - for INSEAD/LBS [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 15:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi vansh,

Thank you for the kind words. I want to make one additional point regarding your recommenders. Many applicants don’t concern themselves with the recommendations, incorrectly assuming that it is the responsibility of their selected recommender. Applicants often feel that if a recommendation is not terribly well written or is submitted a few days late, they will be excused, because it is their recommender’s fault, not theirs.

Make sure to discuss with your recommenders the points that you would like them to address in their recommendations. Do not expect these people to be able to read your mind.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap